Talk

Advanced search

DD not going to achieve Level 4 in KS2?

(13 Posts)
diddyden Wed 14-Oct-09 21:14:35

It looks like my DD is not going to achieve level 4 in her Maths. She only got 2A at the end of year 4. What will this mean for her?

JanJanJanJan Wed 14-Oct-09 21:36:52

Hi,
Expectations on leaving primary school are level 5 I believe.....If your child doesnt gain level 5, she will be put in a set at secondary school to suit her needs. My Daughter got a leverl 5 in science but was reassessed at secondary school and it now at level 3. They can only do what they can do and if thats their best then so be it in mo opinion. I have always told my kids as long as they are happy and try their best then thats good enough for me. I did buy some books off the internet to help my youngest though from a place called cdg books...you can ask school for extra work to be sent home...I did and I got homework too which I had to send in for the teacher to mark!! Dont worry.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 14-Oct-09 21:44:14

Actually Jan the expectation is level 4 or above, not level 5.
What year is your DD in now? Is it year five. If she makes the expected level of progress which is two sub-levels a year then she would be looking at 3b at the end of year five and 4c at the end of year six - so she would in fact reach level four. If it were me, I would be requesting a meeting with her teacher to discuss in detail how they plan to help her achieve her target and what you can do at home to support that. They need to be specific about what her areas of weakness are and how they can be addressed. Once you know that, you will be able to help her. They should have been tracking her progress since she started school so I am surprised they have not alerted you before, but now they have they need to share as much information with you as possible so you can help.

deaddei Wed 14-Oct-09 21:51:51

My dd came out with level 3 for science- was predicted a 5.
Went to pieces on the day.
Has it made an iota of difference to her in year 8?
NO.

Feenie Wed 14-Oct-09 21:56:57

To make good progress (as opposed to satisfactory), children are expected to make 2 sub levels of progress in one year. Therefore, she could move to a 3b by the end of Year 5 and to 4c by the end of Year 6, and so achieve a level 4.

This can be achieved with good teaching, and one of the many intervention programmes which are available in schools at the moment. If she was in our school, she would be elegible for the Catch up Maths programme and would be a candidate for One to One tuition. Ask the school what's available for her, and what they intend to do to help her make good progress this year.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 14-Oct-09 21:57:51

You are right Deaddei, that the result of the child gets in their formal KS2 tests is not important; it is their teacher's assessment of their actual achievement that counts. But while it doesn't matter what diddyden's daughter gets in her KS2 SATS - the level she is working at does matter.

cece Wed 14-Oct-09 22:00:33

If she got 2A at the end of year 4, then if she makes the expected progress of 2 sublevels per year, then I would expect her to get a level 4C in her SATs. Level 4 is the expected level for KS2 SATs.

lljkk Thu 15-Oct-09 07:26:08

A friend's 2 children got to Yr5 & Yr6 without really being able to read, maths wasn't brill either. So our primary school made a big effort with them to try to bring them up Levels. It was a bit intense, lots of individual attention and sessions.

I know the Yr6 child just missed getting a Level 4c in something (?maths). She started High School last month and is enjoying it enormously. The only problem really is that tending to be in the bottom sets she's around the most disruptive pupils a lot, although she's a lovely good-natured not-at-all disruptive girl herself. Her mother isn't worried about the disruption because the girl is the eldest is 6, declaring "She's used to disruption!"

lljkk Thu 15-Oct-09 07:35:15

"Eldest OF six", I meant (sigh).

diddyden Thu 15-Oct-09 13:47:53

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice. She is currently in year 5, and progressing at 1 sub level in maths per year. I have asked the school since she started in year 3 to help her as she really struggles in this subject.They kept telling me not to worry as she has time to pick up, and children have highs and lows in their learning abilities. I went to a meeting last night as she has now been offered the one to one tuition that someone previously mentioned. But this is only available for 10wks then stops. Too be honest I wouldn't worry so much if it was any other subject, but she needs to be able to add up the basics. I did bring in a private tutor at home in year 3, but can't honestly say that helped much, although she was a qualified teacher. Her new tutor doesn't want to give her additional work at home on top of her homework and extra tutoring. Do you think this will help her further or just put her off altogether?

Feenie Thu 15-Oct-09 15:47:48

What is her Y5 teacher like? She sounds fairly on the ball if she has already put her forward for One to One.

I would second the tutor's opinion of overloading her with additonal work at the moment. Try using this site to supplement whatever aspect of Maths she has been working on that week - more fun, and will enable you to spot any gaps and bring them up with her teacher at parents' evening in November, or whenever.

diddyden Thu 15-Oct-09 18:20:35

I've only met her teacher once who is also going to be her tutor. My DD loves this teacher which i think will help alot. Thank you for your advice. I will use this site to assist and keep an eye on her work. Many thanks again.

lljkk Fri 16-Oct-09 13:51:19

Mathsisfun is good, too.

10 weeks is better than nothing, Diddyden. She may only need a short burst of help; they always book extra help in short bursts, I find (eg. DS2 is currently slotted for just 5 sessions of SALT this term, which I know is far from how much he'll need in long term, but they'll reassess in January).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now