Talk

Advanced search

Haberdashers monmouth

(7 Posts)
notanidea Tue 13-Oct-09 23:04:51

Any experience of this school? Has anyone got through 11 plus examination to this school.

bruffin Wed 14-Oct-09 07:11:16

girls or boys?

30andLurking Wed 14-Oct-09 07:52:40

I went to the girls school about 100 years ago (alright, I left 12 years ago), so I can't really comment on its current ethos/results etc, although the grounds always made for a lovely atmosphere, especially in summer. Just seen that 5 girls got into Oxbridge this year, which is about the same as when I was there, so academically I think standards have stayed as high.

Are you thinking day or boarding? In my day (and I can't believe it's changed much) the termly boarders were a very tight knit group, often with the more local day girls, but those of us coming in daily from further afield (and quite a few come quite a long way) or the weekly boarders who went home at weekends tended to miss out a bit. If your DC can do some after-school activities that would help (we were a one-car family when I started, so no chance for me!).

marialuisa Wed 14-Oct-09 08:40:49

I went at 7+ to the girls for a couple of years, my family are still in the area and know quite a lot of people using the schools. Habs (Boys and girls) are stronger academically than the local private competition, such as Hereford Cathedral and Rougemont. Still lots of kids commuting from Abergavenny, Ross etc.

notanidea Wed 14-Oct-09 17:46:20

I am thinking about the girls school in 2 years time. We propably will be staying around abergavenny.5 girls into oxbridge for a school like that looks a bit on the low side.Am I right or not?

marialuisa Wed 14-Oct-09 20:38:02

Think it's respectable enough actually. If you want private secondary you're not overrun with options in that part of the world. Christ's in Brecon is probably too far?

MusterMix Wed 14-Oct-09 20:38:45

dh went to the boys school
he hated it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now