Talk

Advanced search

Primary Schools in Lambeth/Stockwell - London

(6 Posts)
mandykersh Tue 06-Oct-09 13:40:29

Hi everyone,

I am new to Mumsnet. I have 2 boys, one is 28 months old and the other is just 4 months old.

We have recently moved to the Lambeth/Stockwell area of London, and I've started looking into local Primary schools for my eldest to attend in a years time.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I dont know the area at all.

Thanks
Mandy

cherryblossoms Tue 06-Oct-09 14:09:30

Whereabouts in Stockwell/Lambeth are you? Are you within a stone's throw of Sudbourne Primary? I seem to remember that being the no. 1 people's choice ... .

mandykersh Tue 06-Oct-09 15:01:51

Hi, and thanks for your message.

I've checked out Sudbourne School online and it looks great - thanks!

It is a bit of a distance from us (we're more towards Vauxhall) but if it means he gets good education then I dont mind.

Do you perhaps know if it is a state or private primary? I cant seem to find this information out online.

mimsum Tue 06-Oct-09 15:09:26

Sudbourne is state and unless you live on the doorstep you don't stand a cat in hell's chance of getting your son in - sorry ....

other primaries in Lambeth pretty variable

Needmoresleep Wed 07-Oct-09 16:09:15

It is worth doing your homework. It is not the greatest area for schools, primary or secondary, though some are preferred over others. (Durand - though lots of controversy about the head - Rhea, though again some controversy in the past, and Ashmole are all schools which wax and wane in popularity.)

If your children are baptised it is really worth also trying Church schools in Westminster: St Paters Eaton Sq and Burdett Coutts or the Catholic St Vincent de Paul and Westminster Cathedral. You probbaly wont get a place for nursery/reception, though it is not impossible, but families do move out of Central London, or shift their kids to the Private Sector in Yrs 3 and 4, so if you have been interested and polite and keep in touch there is a very good chance that places will come up at this point. An easy trip up the Victoria Line.

Secondary is a lot harder. There are a few black corridors where catchment areas for popular schools have shrunk leaving those in the middle with no obvious school. There simply are not enough school places and of the places available many are at quite tough schools.

deaddei Wed 07-Oct-09 17:33:04

having worked in Sudbourne I wouldn't send my children there. Total chaos and children with attitude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now