Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have a child with a phonological disorder ?

(3 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sat 03-Oct-09 22:29:24

Hi, my daughter is four and a half and has a phonological speech disorder. She has a very good vocab and understanding of speech, but she is very difficult to understand.
She finds it hard to identify sounds in words and can't rhyme at.
Does anyone know of any fun things we can do at home to help?
She likes the jolly phonics CD and she is learning letter sounds at the moment. She knows l,o,a,s,t,z,w and p. but finds it hard to say what sound a word starts with.
I am aware that her disorder will effect her ability to learn to read and write. I want to do all I can to help her with this problem, but it has to be fun and not seem like work.
She has made no progress in speech therapy for 12 months and that's just with one sound.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very greatfull. smile

Piffle Sat 03-Oct-09 22:44:40

My dd (now 7) had phonological processing disorder diagnosed aged 4...
However they said because her understanding and expression were great that it would come
now she is 7 and her speech has evolved well and she now has no issues. And at age 4 she was really indistinct and she was actually nonverbal til age 3...
Dd reads well above her age try not to worry and seek all the help you can x

mummyloveslucy Mon 05-Oct-09 18:08:16

Thanks piffle, that is very encouraging. smile She is having speech therapy and is being assessed for other areas too such as her lack of bowel control and her overall development.
She is a bright, confident and happy child so I really hope she'll do as well as your daughter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now