Talk

Advanced search

Does your secondary school have a resident police officer?

(13 Posts)
RubysReturn Fri 02-Oct-09 17:01:47

Is this the norm?
What do they do?

Am being nosey

RubysReturn Fri 02-Oct-09 18:58:29

bump for those with bigger dc

Peabody Fri 02-Oct-09 18:59:29

I've worked in a school that did. It has been shut down now, though...

SixtyFootDoll Fri 02-Oct-09 19:00:08

Its def not the norm around here!

MissAnneElk Fri 02-Oct-09 19:01:26

No, and it would ring alarm bells if it did.

RubysReturn Fri 02-Oct-09 19:03:20

School in question was failing, but now improving.

I did not know whether it was the grown up rquivalent of anti bullying policy - you know how the schools who say ' we have no bullying here' who are head in sand about issues.

What do you think they do?

Nunk Fri 02-Oct-09 21:18:08

Why would alarm bells be ringing. Our school has police on staff. It is beneficial to staff, pupils and parents. I dont have a problem with it. I know it isnt a failing school, infact quite the opposite.
He is there to help with any problems which might arise in or out of school, infact he has been fantastic according to people who have needed his services and he is on first name terms with a lot of parents.
He takes an interest in the pupils and what happens to them in school and outside.
He will move the earth to help with a problem and he is very approchable. As a parent I think it is a good thing to have an approchable member of the police on staff.

Heated Fri 02-Oct-09 21:39:20

My father's London school does. The policeman's there to stop undesirables coming onto the school site. Part of Safer Schools - most schools in the area have a police officer assigned although not all have their own on site. The school used to have poor results, no longer does.

ByTheSea Fri 02-Oct-09 21:44:17

Yes. It is a school of about 1,700 children, some of whom may come from a deprived area. It is actually one of the better schools in the area.

Dumbledoresgirl Fri 02-Oct-09 21:45:54

No, but it sounds like they could have done with one today. A fight broke out between a sixth former and a Year 10 boy, 2 school computers were broken and several bystanders were hurt by flying books. shock

mumoverseas Sat 03-Oct-09 14:02:59

wish DD's school had a PC there. Maybe all her stuff wouldn't get stolen all the time. Actually wrote to her housemistress last week asking if they were running a school or a borstal? angry

MaureenMLove Sat 03-Oct-09 14:09:29

We have a PCSO that spends a few hours every week at our secondary school.

As Nunk says, they are actually an important part of the school. They get to know the students in and out of school and are the first to be able to tell us, if he has seen any friction between them over the weekend, for us to keep an eye on.

My DD's school does too and she goes to one of the best secondary moderns in the area. Outstanding according to Ofsted, so it certainly isn't because the school is failing. On the contrary, they are on the ball and have police on site to nip things in the bud, before it gets nasty.

RubysReturn Sat 03-Oct-09 19:02:34

excellent
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now