Advanced search

DD needs to "concentrate on reading development" can anyone translate that for me?

(6 Posts)
brokenspacebar Thu 01-Oct-09 16:33:22

DD is 8, fluent reader, but I got a note home in her reading diary saying she reads "well, but needs to work hard on reading development" - is this shorthand teacher jargon? If so what does it mean!?

daisy71 Thu 01-Oct-09 17:04:12

To be honest, it could mean anything! That's a terribly vague thing to write-her teacher could mean her inference skills, her comprehension, her ability to read with expression, her skimming and scanning techniques, all of which are generally described as 'higher order reading skills'. If I were you, I'd ask the teacher to clarify which area she wishes your DD to focus on and then you can support class learning with home learning. HTH

brokenspacebar Thu 01-Oct-09 17:18:57

I did think it was vague too. I asked dd if she understood what the teacher was looking for - no was the answer. DD can read expressively, so I know it isn't that. The teacher is never to be seen after school which is a bit annoying.

I don't want to have to go in for a chat, as we saw the teacher last week (settling in parent teacher meeting type thing). I wish they would sort out e-mail and contact us through that.

Smithagain Thu 01-Oct-09 18:56:19

In that situation, I'd write a note just underneath the teacher's comment saying "Thank you for your comment. Can you clarify which area of reading development needs work?" Put it back into his/her court.

brokenspacebar Thu 01-Oct-09 20:38:18

Good plan Smithagain - I like the teacher, communication is a problem. The class is at the top of the school and the teacher doesn't come out at the end of the school day.

Hulababy Thu 01-Oct-09 20:44:33

Definitely write a comment back asking for clarification on which aspects the teacher means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now