Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

registered ds at a montessori nursey - but concerned now

(16 Posts)
emily05 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:00:35

yesterday I registered my ds at a local montessori nursery.

They looked great and have a website and all looked nice. On further investigation: I rang montessori who do not have them registered. Does the nursery have to be registered with them to call themselves a montessori nursery? (iysmi)

They are 'ofsted' approved - but do you think that I can find a report?!!! There isn't one for them and they have been open over a year I think. Doesn't make any sense.

It does seem a nice place and is big. Now I am unsure. Am I over thinking this? Shall I send ds there anyway?

Hope that this makes sense!

Kaz33 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:04:17

How old is DS ?

Mum2girls Wed 08-Jun-05 12:07:15

I think some nurseries operate the Montessori methods of childcare, but are not necessarily Montessori IFSWIM.

Carla Wed 08-Jun-05 12:07:39

emily, I don't think they do have to be registered with Montessori. The one next to us certaiainly isn't. Do you have other misgivings about it, apart from it not being registered with them?

norash Wed 08-Jun-05 12:07:48

Emily, I read somewhere that some nurseries describe/sell themselves as "Montessori style" which is not the same as montessori but rather follow the same principles.

franke Wed 08-Jun-05 12:08:22

Is it possible to contact parents of kids who are already there and ask them for the low down?

emily05 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:09:50

Kaz - 3 in August
Mum2girls - thats what I thought. A bit off though because they call themselves 'Oak house Montessori Nursery'. But I know what you mean.

On a plus point it is a lovely nursery here I think perhaps I am being crazy about this because it is the first time I will be leaving ds as such - so might be going a bit OTT in the worrying stakes!!

emily05 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:11:34

Just seen the other replies

carla - it does seem nice, Franke - I knew somebody who dd went there and seemed really happy, norash - that is what I am hoping - that maybe they dont have to register as such but can use the methods

bundle Wed 08-Jun-05 12:15:53

if they've only been open a year i'm not surprised that they haven't had an Ofsted report, though they would have to be registered with them to open iykwim. have you spoken to other parents? i believe that some nurseries operate a montessori system, but aren't "official" montessori nurseries, even though they follow the principles and style of teaching. did you go to see other nurseries?

LIZS Wed 08-Jun-05 12:20:08

Were you looking on the Ofsted website ? I only ask because the independent school dd is going into Reception at in September have just had an Ofsted but I couldn't track any sign of the it on the Ofsted site - I don't think the categories for non LEA run schools and nurseries etc are easy to locate - but that in itself doesn't mean there hasn't been one. Have seen a copy though, which incidentally is excellent, sent direct from the school and you should be able to ask the nursery to give you a copy of theirs. If they can't or won't then worry.

No, I don't think they have to officially register as Montessori but the nursery teacher should have been properly trained and you could
ask to see their certificates (at the one ds went to they were on the wall anyway) plus some of the toys are very specific.

hth

emily05 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:20:33

bundle - yes I went to a few that could take him now and some that could take him in September. This one was head and shoulders above the rest (and quite pricey although my mum is helping us out).

Some of the others we looked at just didnt feel right and had problems - but this one seems perfect.
I have two sessions for free where I go with ds and make sure everything is ok. My instincts are telling me it is ok - but my paranoid, mad mother instincts are in over drive!!!

I phoned OFSTED and they had them registered and said that they have an initial report after 8 months of being open. but it nowhere onthe website so am assuming that it will be soon iyswim.

emily05 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:22:28

lizs - I thought of this, had a quick look at the website for independent schools and couldnt see them. I might ask the school direct like you said (just worried about the nursery thinking I am mad!!!)

LIZS Wed 08-Jun-05 12:22:51

Just looked at website. I didn't think that Montessori methods applied to under 3's, which is why many restrict their intake to 3-5 or 3-7 ?

emily05 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:25:55

really? they seem to intake as follows:

full day care - 0 - 3 years
montessori pre-school- 2.5 - 5

wonder if this is part of the problem. That they are a nursery daycare and run a montessori pre-school on the side! hope that makes sense!!

franke Wed 08-Jun-05 12:31:42

Emily I was in a similar position putting dd into nursery 3 days a week this year. You can use the free sessions to ask really pertinent questions and to observe how content the other kids there are. The staff to kiddie ratio looks good and I think is important if this is the first time you've left ds with anyone.

I'm a great believer in gut reaction - if you've seen a few places and this is way better than all of them, then I think you are on the right track. Just use the free sessions to confirm that you're doing the right thing.

emily05 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:35:19

thanks franke - I think that I will use the session to be observant and have a nose around! I am not nervous about how ds will react because he is very confident I dont think he will be upset at all. So like you said I will check out the staff ratio and the other kids ect . .

Am amazed because I really thought that finding a preschool would be really easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now