Talk

Advanced search

Applying for secondary schools in 2 different LEAs.

(8 Posts)

We live in one county but DD attends primary school in a different county (we're very close to the border). DD doesn't go to the nearest primary school as I was unhappy with it.

The head at her primary assures me that she will be able to go to the secondary that the primary school is a feeder for even though we don't live in the catchment area for. I know other kids who live in our village but attended this primary have gone to the secondary i nthe next county.

But if I want to apply to other secondary schools in our county can I do that. So will be applying for one secondary in County A and 2 or 3 in County B. Do I have to tell the LEAs what I'm doing?

IdrisTheDragon Wed 30-Sep-09 11:22:50

Have you looked at the LEAs websites? I think it's fine to do that - we are on the border of two counties and seem to remember reading something on one of the local websites explaining what you need to do in that situation.

DoNotGoGently Wed 30-Sep-09 11:25:07

Hi. Are you in England? I work in Admissions for an English county so can only advise on the process there.

We are in England? Can't see any info on the LEA websites about this.

DoNotGoGently Wed 30-Sep-09 11:46:10

Ok. If your DD is due to transfer to high school you should receive an application pack about now. You should be able to apply for a high school place either online or by filling in a form. You will be to express a number of preferences - it's three in my county. As local authorities have to coordinate the admission process, you have to apply to the local authority where you live and that authority will offer you a place at the highest ranked preference they can. So you have to put down you preference for both schools on the form or online regardless of where the schools are.

If any of the schools you are interested in are oversubscribed you also need to look at the oversubscription rules for the school to see which category your child falls into. Some schools give a higher priority to children in their feeder schools such as your DD and some give priority to catchment kids first. Please don’t rely on what the head has told you as they do not make the decision about who is admitted to the school!! It is all down to the oversubscription rules.

I hope all this makes sense!!

sunnydelight Thu 01-Oct-09 00:01:15

I thought all LEAs had to have "coordinated admissions procedures" now, but I could be wrong! Brighton&Hove/East Sussex/West Sussex certainly introduced it some years ago to stop people making separate applications to each county.

Looks like Gently is right, I have to apply through the LEA I live in, even for the school in a diferent LEA area.

mumzy Sat 03-Oct-09 10:07:16

Check whether you get priority in the county you pay your coucil tax too. Some councils give 1st priority to applicants if you live and pay council tax to them if you are out of county you only get a place if there are any spare after placing in-county kids. And yes they do check whether you are on the council tax list. I'd personally phone up admissions in both education depts to check as it can be quite complicated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now