Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Who's teaching your child?

(4 Posts)
swedishmum Tue 07-Jun-05 23:18:48

My dd (Y4) tells me she had a Teaching Assistant all day. We've been out of the system for a while and I'm just wondering if this is normal. I have nothing against TAs but would just like to know what my children are up to.

Any thoughts?

sparkly Wed 08-Jun-05 09:48:38

My dd is only 5 (Reception) and they have a teacher and a TA all day. Her teacher is deputy head but when she goes to do deputy head stuff, they bring in another teacher to help out. Though I do know the TA does a lot of work with them - she is often the one who signs her reading book.

Aniles Wed 08-Jun-05 23:03:33

There are now level 3 TAs who are able to provide cover for whole classes at a time. Not neccessarily the best option but perfectly legal and about to become common practice.

HTH

roisin Thu 09-Jun-05 14:41:14

Yes, HLTAs (Higher Level Teaching Assistance) have additional training/experience to qualify them to do whole class cover. And from September all schools should be providing every teacher with 10% PPA time - i.e. one morning or afternoon every week, or a day a fortnight. Some schools will be doing this by using HLTAs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now