Talk

Advanced search

french classes = do you think this will work out?

(23 Posts)
notanidea Sun 27-Sep-09 22:57:54

I learnt french in school but have completely forgotten it. DD has joined a new school where french is taught as a part of the curriculum.They have been doing it for a year - sure DD will catch up in a year or two.Saw an ad - post graduate french student offering french lessons and willing to come to teachat home- 8 pounds per hour for both of us,I am tempted to ask her to teach us.I am tempted to learn again.Do you think it will work out or am I being mad to even consider this?

carocaro Sun 27-Sep-09 23:04:29

Try it and see, not that much of a dilema really is it?

Ponders Sun 27-Sep-09 23:08:31

I've just signed up for adult ed French classes (I did A level many many years ago) - this costs c £200, for 2 hours a week over about 30 weeks, so somewhat less than £4 per hour per head!

My first lesson was Friday just gone, so adult ed classes have just started - your DD will probably catch up in a few weeks at school, are there any classes similar to mine near you? (Mine do beginners, improvers, intermediate & advanced with more than 1 class at each level smile)

notanidea Sun 27-Sep-09 23:10:40

DH thinks I am mad to do this.Slightly reluctant to leave some one I dont know into the house.Not done anything like this before.She has advertised as a postgraduate law student at the local university.

pillowcase Sun 27-Sep-09 23:14:31

I wouldn't learn together, no. Differences in ability (you probably have far more than you think V child has none), differences in learning styles (child wants to play games, let it roll off tongue, adult wants to understand the rules etc).

Would the student do 2 short separatelessons, and just get you to meet in the interval to practise a prepared conversation or something?

notanidea Sun 27-Sep-09 23:19:38

I am not even sure whether she has any experience of teaching.Actually I was worried that I will be slow and children would absorb things quicker.Ponders- where exactly should I be looking for this classes

frakkinpannikin Sun 27-Sep-09 23:38:55

Are you looking for classes or for your DD to become familiar and confident in French?

The best way for the former is to sign up with a qualified and experienced teacher who has lesson plans and homework and GOALS. Local FE colleges often to evening classes, or try the OU for a level 1 certificate in a language.

Your post-grad student, however, sounds ideal for the latter. Get her to pretend she doesn't speak English,, which will improve your French because you'll have to speak to her in front of your DD in French, and get her to play/interact with your DD. Your DD will soon pick up the basic stuff by a mix of sign language and hearing the French - if the postgrad points to herself and says "Je m'appelle Celine" then I'm sure your DD is bright enough to make the connection that her name is Celine etc.

I've worked with children who know no English whatsoever and even though I understand their language I haven't spoken it to them - it's amazing how quickly they do pick it up.

No harm in talking to her and seeing what she's offering.

notanidea Mon 28-Sep-09 11:04:48

It is more for my daughter than for me. I learnt in school and never conversed with anyone in french apart in the class and as a result not had much use with it. So I thought if she has lessons and can be encouraged to talk, may be watch childrens programme and read childrens book rather than just learn it at school- it would be ideal.I am not at all confidant that I will pick up that much.

JeffVadar Mon 28-Sep-09 11:20:44

I started going to a French conversation class two years ago. I have improved hugely and I love it too. You may think that you have forgotten it all, but you will be amazed how it all comes back to you!

From your DDs point of view school french lessons can be a bit dry if there is too much emphasis on the grammar, accents etc. In some cases children can emerge with a French GSCE able to read and write French, but they cannot speak or understand it - which is the fun bit.

I would definitely go for it! You can try a fixed number of lessons and see how it goes.

MmeLindt Mon 28-Sep-09 11:22:59

That is not expensive, for one to one lessons.

I am taking one to one lessons and it is MUCH more effective than group lessons, you do a lot more talking and she will concentrate on the parts that you want her to concentrate on.

I would go for it.

MmeLindt Mon 28-Sep-09 11:24:39

Oh, yes. And do as Frannkin says and have an Englsih free zone while she is there. That is what my teacher does and it is difficult but very effective.

Ponders Mon 28-Sep-09 12:18:18

notanidea, if you google adult ed + your county you should get a link to what they provide - as I said mine has just started, so if there is something suitable you may have only missed the first one.

notanidea Mon 28-Sep-09 12:38:46

thanks ponders- the nearest class is about 7 -8miles away.I have a14 month old and it is easy if she can stay at home and DH can come home and look after her when we do our lessons.Less disruption at home.
I think I am going to go for it as I feel more confident after reading the posts.Thanks a lot every one. Any other advice welcome.I will keep it english free as suggested.

Ponders Mon 28-Sep-09 12:51:59

Good luck with it then smile

FWIW my teacher is using BBC French Experience 1 - she has the tapes, we just buy our own book (£9.74 for the book alone).

There are people on my course refreshing years after doing GCSE, like you, & this book seems to be OK for them.

notanidea Tue 29-Sep-09 10:21:31

just an update- spoke to this girl. no experience with teaching but we have agreed we will have a go for a month and see. She is student and told that is was expensive to come by bus-so if we both are happy have told her I will give the bus charge-prop a pound or 1.50. Lets see.

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 29-Sep-09 10:42:41

I hope it works out.

We spend a lot of time in France, but DH failed his o level french twice 25 odd years ago while I am fluent - so no incentive for him to try. Last year he went to classses at the local college of HE and got lots out of it - maybe you could consider something similar if you enjoy the chat?

notanidea Tue 29-Sep-09 11:25:43

I did look into that option after PONDERS suggestion but the nearest college which teaches is 7-8 miles and not very convienent so I thought I will gives this a go and see.

notanidea Fri 02-Oct-09 19:25:47

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh She did not come today after agreeing to come -am fuming. What is the alternative?Can I self learn from the CDS AND TAPES.

Ponders Fri 02-Oct-09 20:14:48

Bugger sad how frustrating & disappointing for you

As you have some knowledge of French you could certainly give it a go by yourself. You can try the bbc stuff online here

notanidea Fri 02-Oct-09 21:25:23

Thanks Ponders. DD was also dissapointed.

Ponders Fri 02-Oct-09 21:37:16

Have you spoken to her? Do you know why she didn't come?

notanidea Fri 02-Oct-09 22:48:08

Her english was not great but she said that something has come up and she cant come and called me 5 to 7.00 pm and she was not willing to come in the future but my guess is prop she had another job.In the first email she said that she has a friend and even if she could not come her friend can come but when I spoke to her she said her friend has got a job and she prefers to walk to come for work but obviously she cant walk to my home and I made it very clear and was willing to pay the bus charge if she comes and we have some progresssad

jumbo67 Tue 04-Jan-11 18:55:26

Hi
I am trying to find an adult french class for beginners, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: