Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done a course ith the OU?

(11 Posts)
TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 25-Sep-09 20:08:35

Im looking at my options now my children are at school, i have no qualifications or GCSEs or anything at the moment, luckily enough im not in a position where i need to work.

I do however defiatly want to do some more studying for myself mainly but also i do want to work eventually to so if it were to help me in any future jobs it would be a bonus.

I am looking at the Open University, starting with a beginner course and workig up, i am just wondering if anyone had done a course with them and how they found the whole process.

I don't know what to do though, im torn between Philosophy, Psycology and Health and Social care!

I have no idea what work i would like to eventually get into, i used to be a Chef but i definatley don't want to do that again but i find the above subjects very interesting.

TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 25-Sep-09 20:10:26

Just seen they have a Literature and Creative Writing course, i am so torn! Argh!

TheFallenMadonna Fri 25-Sep-09 20:11:18

I did Psychology. It was really,really fab and I loved it. I started with level 2 because I already had a degree, but met lots of people who started with an openings course and then moed on to level 1 and up.

Habbibu Fri 25-Sep-09 20:13:12

I've just done Introduction to Health Sciences, which was brilliant. I'm very impressed with the OU - very organised, very clear, great materials. But it's no easy ride - you do have to make sure you set aside time to do it. They have lots of introductory courses so that you can see how well it suits you before you commit to paying more for a longer course.

I'd heartily recommend them - am signing up for my next one soon.

TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 25-Sep-09 20:16:28

I haven't been in education since i left highschool just before my GCSEs but im pretty inteligent (even if i do say so myself)

I just cant decide which course to do, i have been thinking about it for months and just cant make my mind up, im yearning to do something! I love Psycology and Criminology, its something i am really interested in but then i also have a love of Creative writing and English in general. Health and Social care i like but i feel it would help me more in a job sense. Its to hard to decide!

TheFallenMadonna Fri 25-Sep-09 20:32:25

Don't choose a degree course now. Choose an openings course (is that right?) to get yourself into studying. They are pretty general and you have loads of time to make up your mind. If for example you wanted to get a named degree in Psychology, the compulsory courses are all level 2 and 3, which you won't be tackling just yet. Look at the foundation courses, choose something that looks interesting and get stuck in I think. You'll be in it for the long haul.

MavisGrind Fri 25-Sep-09 20:37:47

I'm just finishing up a psychology diploma (see, I'm revising for my exam right now, can't you tell wink) and it's been great.
It can be a lot of work but if you get organised it can be done.
As FallenMadonna says just get stuck in with level one stuff and see where it takes you.

Good luck.

HSMM Fri 25-Sep-09 20:49:49

I'm just starting my 5th course in Childcare. It is a great way to study, which works around your family (as long as they support you).

feddlek Fri 02-Oct-09 14:31:24

Agree OU is fab, tho I was doing for interest not a degree. I did a short course Chemical Journey: Nutrition and Health - it was basic chemistry, I found it really stimulating. I had done A level chemistry many years before and NEVER got the hang of it (in the olden days - teachers didn't check you'd got it and I too shy to point out I hadn't a clue!).

This was a revelation! Found it hugely satisfying, used the helpline once and had v good help from the teacher on end of phone. Highly recommend. And very much agree about just get going, then decide.

Good luck! grin I'm quite envious!

webwiz Fri 02-Oct-09 14:48:32

must stop taking OU courses, must stop taking OU courses -it becomes an addiction beware grin

leothelioness Fri 02-Oct-09 14:54:00

OU is fab I have to agree I am currently 1/2 way thrugh studying for my degree I had a-levels but no degree and started at level 1 with a 18 month old ds had ds2 just after I finished my first course but after a few months break got going again and hopefully will have my degree in a couple of years time.

The beauty of the OU is that you study in your own time so you filt it around your life not the other way around. I am studying life sciences by the way and love it whihc is biology and health broadly.And I have no science at GCSE or A-level so it can be done.

I think I am addicted to the OU too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now