Talk

Advanced search

Bursary application

(15 Posts)
mybrainisfull Mon 21-Sep-09 21:57:18

What would you list as your 7yr olds achievments? This is for a private school application.

Heidispider Mon 21-Sep-09 22:12:11

Oh good grief, that's tricky!

Anything academic or sporting that he/she has done above or beyond normal expectations/school experiences? Extra curricular stuff like scouting - perhaps something they have participated in - charity/fund raising?

Any exams taken? Music/sporting like judo etc?

Or maybe a little unusual like learning to...(whatever it could be.

SueW Mon 21-Sep-09 22:15:22

I don't think my 7yo had achieved very much at all, tbh, other than to learn to read and write, and do some maths, to be kind to other children. She had done some piano by then but I don't know if she'd done any exams.

Shall I dig out her (prep) school reports and she what they say?

mybrainisfull Mon 21-Sep-09 22:19:59

SueW that would be a huge help.
How much can a 7yr old have done????? Like you say.. DS can read, write, make friends ect ect. Are they really expecting Grade 2 piano, Run a marathon, played rugby for England u11'S??????!!!!!!!

Heidispider Mon 21-Sep-09 22:22:27

Maybe you should go for something more unusual like - being kind to others/ learning to save money/ tidying up after self etc
It might read as being far more honest than other applications!

fatsatsuma Mon 21-Sep-09 22:24:50

I really don't think his achievements or lack of them age 7 will affect the outcome of your application.

Bursaries are about parental income and means, not the child's abilities. That's why they are bursaries not scholarships.

The school will need to make sure that your DS is academically up to the school, but no 7 year old is genuinely going to have a list of extra curricular achievements.

mybrainisfull Mon 21-Sep-09 22:25:48

Good idea Heidispider - it does say not necessarily academic.
Other questions are the more usual "how would your child benefit from attending this school" which I'm ok with, but the achievment one has thrown me I have to admit!

Heidispider Mon 21-Sep-09 22:29:01

Good luck with it, I'd love to know what you decide to write. Definitely don't let the question intimidate you - thinking outside the box might be the answer to this. Sell your child, but in an honest way.

mybrainisfull Mon 21-Sep-09 22:31:39

Heidispider, the form doesn't have to be in until end of Nov, so I may be some time thinking about it!! Weird question though don't you think?

Heidispider Mon 21-Sep-09 22:35:49

I agree that it does seem to be an odd question! At least you have the time to gather some ideas together. Not too late to enrol your child with Mensa, get them to learn to yacht singlehanded and 'encourage' them to learn to play the harp! grin

mybrainisfull Mon 21-Sep-09 22:37:34

Lol !! grin grin

SueW Mon 21-Sep-09 22:45:04

Is it a standard form for all levels of the school whether reception or Y12?

DD is now - Y8 - quite an accomplished musician: G4 violin and sax, G3 piano, the latter achieved a long time ago and given up immediately afterwards and the sax grade being achieved in under 4 terms of lessons. I have to say having dug out her Y1/2 reports that her reports from the music teacher don't anticipate that (piano done out of school)

The overall comments though refer to

maturity
dependability
friendly
openness
enthusiasm
determination
offers support and praise to her peers
produces work of an excellent standard blah, blah

mybrainisfull Mon 21-Sep-09 22:49:19

Thanks SueW - very useful.
Do you think I should put stuff like he was on the school council, and any class awards he has won??

SueW Mon 21-Sep-09 22:51:47

No idea! It seems so long ago I can't even think how I would be trying to think of things if I were in your position.

Is it a prep only form?

Heidispider Mon 21-Sep-09 22:53:03

Definitely! The school council experience will have given him experience of formal meetings, the chance to air his views and report on behalf of and back to his class. The opportunity to discuss issues affecting the school community. The opportunity to learn about the democratic decision making process...

Class awards - yes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now