Talk

Advanced search

Year 7 maths, a bit of advice please

(9 Posts)
mum2threegirls Mon 21-Sep-09 10:49:51

Hi, my daughters Maths teacher has told her that Year 7 Maths is just revision of year 6. Is this right???? Daughter got level 5A in maths at Primary so was really hoping she would be able to do level 6 stuff asap.
Thanks for any replies x

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 21-Sep-09 10:55:18

No I wouldn't say that. Although it is true that DD (now Yr8) did find maths quite easy last year, it wasn't just a revision of year 6. She went in with a 5A and came out with a 7. I think she would have enjoyed more challenging work, but it was definitely an advance on what she did in year 6.

Salsavita Mon 21-Sep-09 11:01:11

I would agree with LGP smile

mum2threegirls Mon 21-Sep-09 14:07:36

Hi, I appreciate your replies thanks. I'm sure I'll get to talk to teacher soon. Glad to know she can still progress. Secondary schools' like a whole different world LOL

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 21-Sep-09 14:21:30

Yes, isn't it. I don't know if you have found it already, but in the secondary school forum on here there is a thread for parents of new Year 7s. Us Year 8 parents have one too - we found our Yr7 thread very helpful last year.

mum2threegirls Mon 21-Sep-09 14:31:34

Thanks for that, will have a look.

Fossie Fri 16-Oct-09 19:51:43

Every year you should expect to 'go up' by half a level. You should have a good expectation of what your daughter will achieve in year 9 sats (key stage 3) therefore. In maths it is accepted that pupils will vary in ability by up to 7 years within an age group. Schools should be able to explain how they differentiate their work for children to cope with the different abilities. In year 7 which is usually taught in tutor groups and therefore mixed in ability, your daughter should be doing more or more difficult work than most the other children in the class. Best wishes.

wicked Fri 16-Oct-09 19:59:01

I don't think Y7 is ust a repeat of Y6. They learn lots of new concepts.

Pyrocanthus Fri 16-Oct-09 20:05:52

Got forbid that they should redo year 6 work - they spent enough time perfecting it last year for the SATs. My DD seems to have been doing a lot of number problems which are completely unlike anything she did at primary school, and she's really enjoying it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now