Talk

Advanced search

anyone know of a good cause that we could support? *Not* directly raising money but some kind of whole-school activity?

(18 Posts)
edam Sun 20-Sep-09 15:26:11

Last year ds's school did Christmas boxes, something loads of kids enjoyed. Unfortunately I realised it was ethically very dodgy - organisation resoponsible was actually a bunch of missionaries who were using the boxes to reach Muslim children in developing countries in order to convert them.

I pointed this out and eventually school agreed they wouldn't do this again. But now one of the lovely teachers has asked me for ideas about what they could do instead. And my mind is blank!

sarah293 Sun 20-Sep-09 15:28:40

Message withdrawn

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 15:31:24

yes, exactly and that is a brilliant idea - we have a children's hospice near here (I'm actually a supporter, don't know why I didn't think of them.)

Will get in touch, thank you!

sarah293 Sun 20-Sep-09 15:33:45

Message withdrawn

gingertoo Sun 20-Sep-09 15:35:01

Mary's Meals - www.marysmeals.org/

Particularly their 'Backpack Project'
The children donate backpacks and fill them with basic clothes, toiletries and school equipment.

It's good because the children enjoy collecting / filling backpacks and it doesn't cost parents a fortune because the stuff does not have to be new....

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 15:43:21

Right, have emailed the hospice!

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 16:01:08

thanks Ginger, that's great. Will need to find out a little more about them, don't want to get stung again. (Christmas boxes looked like a good cause until I heard rumours and checked them out.)

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 16:01:43

(But I have emailed them, so many thanks - it looks perfect, filling the backpacks is ideal for primary school kids.)

trickerg Sun 20-Sep-09 16:11:30

Our KS1 sponsor 2 children in Africa thorugh Plan International. They can write to them, and get letters and updates on their progress.
Any proceeds from the nativity (we also prepare refreshments, sell cakes, make decorations, sell professional photos of children in nativity costumes) go to the sponsor fund. This year, we're going to have a toy sale instead of making the decorations to sell.

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 16:15:02

another good idea, trickerg, thanks.

gingertoo Sun 20-Sep-09 16:46:28

I know what you mean edam. We too got stung with the christmas box thing so swapped to Mary's Meals.
Do please post if you unearth anything dodgy about them though because our village and school are supporting the charity.....

<< ginger crosses fingers and hopes nothing dodgy is found!!>>

To be honest, there are so many bogus charities around now - it makes you very wary when choosing a cause to support. Riven's idea of the children's hospice is a good one. You can see exactly where your support is going..

verygreenlawn Sun 20-Sep-09 16:50:36

Our school had a project recently where they wrote to Gurkhas serving in Afghanistan, and sent small items like spices and CDs.

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 17:24:57

ginger, me too! They were the Daily Telegraph Christmas Charity so one hopes if there were anything dodgy, one of the 100s of journalists there might have noticed... actually will email my Sunday Tel mate and ask her.

edam Sun 20-Sep-09 17:25:42

verygreen, another interesting idea, thanks.

tatt Tue 22-Sep-09 08:52:31

hospice's receive a lot of support at Christmas. Why not find the local women's refuge? It's a less obvious need but women fleeing abuse often have to leave with very little.

tatt Tue 22-Sep-09 08:53:09

apologies for the ' - temporary insanity smile

Littledawley Tue 22-Sep-09 08:57:49

A refuge is a really great idea - I used to work with the children at one refuge and they had often left home with nothing more than a cuddly toy or dolly. It would be lovely to send items for Mums and children.

CMOTdibbler Tue 22-Sep-09 12:34:15

How about a local sheltered housing or group home ? I used to work with elderly psychiatric patients, and the only christmas gifts the vast majority of them got was from the local church

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now