Talk

Advanced search

Any teachers becoming tutors in government's new one to one tuition scheme?

(13 Posts)
CDMforever Wed 16-Sep-09 21:41:56

Have just accepted post as tutor with Year 5 children who are underachieving in maths. Have had a 3 year career break so this is great to phase me back in. Do feel slightly alarmed tho! Anyone else doing one to one tuition out there?

cece Wed 16-Sep-09 21:44:07

I applied online but not heard anything yet. Who contacted you?

CDMforever Wed 16-Sep-09 21:45:41

My old job share partner where I used to work. I hadn't even heard about it till I got the call.

Feenie Wed 16-Sep-09 21:46:19

Yes, but we do it inhouse at our school. Easier to liaise with teachers.

vinblanc Wed 16-Sep-09 21:46:49

Never heard of this scheme. How does it work? How does it differ from what is already in place?

gigglewitch Wed 16-Sep-09 21:46:49

sounds fab -congrats!

CDMforever Wed 16-Sep-09 21:49:46

Thanks giggle, the moneys good too - £25 per hour. And compared to supply work when I wouldn't necessarily know when or where I'd be working, this is much more regular so great for the childcare aspect. And I get to buy nice new work clothes!! Blimey, no stained jeans anymore!!

CDMforever Wed 16-Sep-09 21:52:29

Vinblanc, the scheme is aimed at children who are not destined to be achieving a level 4 in their Year 6 SATs. The government is funding 80hours worth of tutoring to these children in Year 5 to bridge the gaps. I think it was actually started last year tho not 100% sure.

Feenie Wed 16-Sep-09 21:53:06

It's as its title suggests, vinblanc - schools receive money to spend on tutoring targeted children, usually out of school hours for an hour a week. I tutored one of our Year 6 children last year - it really helped him, especially in terms of his confidence. This year we have funding for a few more children, and they can be in other years in KS2, so we can do this even earlier.

CDMforever Wed 16-Sep-09 21:54:54

Feenie, what resources did you find the most useful?

cat64 Wed 16-Sep-09 21:58:43

Message withdrawn

Feenie Wed 16-Sep-09 21:59:58

It was Literacy tutoring, so I used a different genre over 2 weeks. We worked a lot at planning a piece of writing; a lot of the time we didn't actaully write the piece, just got used to planning quickly.
Then we moved on to redrafting, and paragraphing/structure. We worked on spelling regularly, too. As I say, because I know the child it was easier because I could talk to his teacher daily, set him an personal writing target for the week and then follow his work in class to ensure he achieved it.

clutteredup Wed 11-Nov-09 14:07:55

I have just been offered one to one tuition but have had my crb form returned because apparently I am supposed to pay £50 for it - surely that can't be right - can it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now