Talk

Advanced search

primary school teachers - what do you love about your job?

(12 Posts)
bighug Sat 04-Jun-05 17:47:43

I'm starting work experience for a week in a primary school on Monday, with a view to training to be a primary school teacher (I am 34 and a graduate so it would be PGCE). I've been thinking about it for 7 years and am so looking forward to having a taster of what it's like. Just wondered if anyone could inspire me by telling me why they went into teaching or what they love about their job. Thank you!

bighug Sat 04-Jun-05 21:22:34

any thoughts?

hercules Sat 04-Jun-05 21:23:34

I'm secondary but I know that there has been a thread asking this question a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

hercules Sat 04-Jun-05 21:28:02

here

bighug Sat 04-Jun-05 22:33:02

thank you!

jennifersofia Sun 05-Jun-05 14:43:47

Don't know if I could give you great inspiration but I could give you plenty of (probably unwanted!) primary PGCE advice as I am just in the midst (well, in last throes of) my PGCE...

ambrosia Sun 05-Jun-05 14:49:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Carla Sun 05-Jun-05 14:56:51

bighug, don't know if this is any help to you, but my dd1 (she's had her for two years) LOVES her teacher, to the point that she doesn't want to go on holiday, 'case she misses her!

kazoo Sun 05-Jun-05 22:08:14

The taster week will be all the inspiration you will need. I have been a primary school teacher for 7 years and adore the job. I originally applied to do a secondary history PGCE and the first week of the course required me to go to a primary school. At the end of the week I phoned the university and transferred on to the primary PGCE because I had been so inspired. I haven't look back since and am so glad I went into the profession.

dizzymama Mon 06-Jun-05 10:30:59

I love...the fact I'm on maternity leave!!!
No, honestly, it's the relationship with the kids, I love my Year 4's they're just so funny, caring and an inspiration to me!
I love the fact I am in a position to help not only the children but also their families, you feel very privileged indeed.

Enthusia Mon 06-Jun-05 11:22:56

Children are excellent, teaching is inspiring, the politics and management is generally cr*p!

Will be leaving profession due to the latter!

Lara2 Fri 17-Jun-05 00:03:37

Yeah - the politics and management suck big time! Am sticking it out - too poor to do otherwise, the holidays are fab(despite having to do work in them) especially when you have children of your own, and the kids at school are just the most funny, bright, interesting people on the planet on a good day. On a bad day ...... they make predator and the alien look like a breeze!! :O Other downside - unless you have a symapthetic head, forget ever seeing your own children ever doing anything at their schools!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: