Talk

Advanced search

13+ scholarship advice please

(8 Posts)
Sonnet Tue 15-Sep-09 13:51:05

would any parent who has been through the "13+ scholarship" be able to advise me on what schools look for in candidates.

My dd has an opportunity to sit for this in January at the independent school she currently attends. She is bright but I have heard,unofficially, that schools look for something "extra". Can anybody please identify this "extra" for me? ( before I ask school!)
TIA

MmeProf Tue 15-Sep-09 18:56:59

They are probably looking for higher level learning skills.

Diligent students are good at memorising facts and giving rote answers. Scholars have to use the information given to apply it to new situations, synthesise, etc.

It is really useful to do practice scholarship papers, if these are available. Not all schools publish them, but most provide some indication.

In many schools, they will expect students to know the full range of Key Stage 3, but French will expect GCSE level knowledge. It may not be the case at your daughter's school - you really have to ask them. The Director of Studies should be forthcoming with some information.

Sonnet Wed 16-Sep-09 08:58:56

Thank you MmeProff.

willali Wed 16-Sep-09 12:25:46

is it worth it?? Scholarships generally not that large in pure financial sense - just kudos. If you don't get the scholarship she will still have to do CE in JUne. Is it worth doing 2 lots of exams??

marialuisa Wed 16-Sep-09 15:06:52

Radley used to put examples of their scholarship papers online which might give you an idea of the kind of thing schools look for.

JeffVadar Fri 18-Sep-09 08:48:45

I think that schools also like to see a wide range of other interests - sport, music etc. Also any jobs or positions of responsibility within the present school - prefect, librarian etc. All these things help.

Best of luck with the scholarship!

missmem Fri 18-Sep-09 12:53:59

To be honest if she is already at the school then there is nothing she can do because the school already know her. If a better candidate comes along they will give it to her but if you start coaching her or she starts to act differently then the school will see through this. If they have advised her to go up for the scholarship then she already has a good chance.

Good luck!

Sonnet Mon 21-Sep-09 09:49:13

Thanks for all your advice

School has suggested she sit for it - I just need to find out some information directly from them I think...

To whoever suggested was it worth it - yes, to us it is. It is not a lot of money I agree but it would more than cover the cost of her music lessons and other bits and with 2 other children every bit counts! She will not sit the CE in June just normal end of term exams.
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now