Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for PTA Christmas event - Winter Wonderland-esque?

(10 Posts)
CantThinkofFunnyName Tue 15-Sep-09 09:49:57

I went to my first ever PTA event last night and found myself agreeing to take on the organising (and managing committee of) the Xmas event. Traditionally we have had a fete which is really boring and this year want to do more of a winter wonderland style event, culminating with a bit of a disco/boogie for the grown up, carol singing by the kids earlier on and the more fun activities for children earlier too (face painting, games etc). But, I'd really like to get some ideas from all your experienced people of what you think would work at this type of event? What would make people come and what would make people stay and more importantly, what would make people spend money? As much input as poss would be very welcome so I can start my planning from all you lovely people grin!

oopsacoconut Tue 15-Sep-09 09:53:01

Last Christmas fair at school the kids decorated their own candles the made candle holders which they then used for carols. We charged £1 a candle and holder which covered the costs of the dipping wax and also the soft wax sheets.

paisleyleaf Tue 15-Sep-09 09:55:13

A couple of stalls of craft/cheaper stuff to sell. Sort of pocket money budget. So that the children can do a bit of xmas shopping for gifts by themselves.

CantThinkofFunnyName Tue 15-Sep-09 09:55:15

Loving that idea Oops - thanks!! Anyone else please?

CantThinkofFunnyName Tue 15-Sep-09 10:36:41

bump

PestoSurfMonster Tue 15-Sep-09 10:39:01

You could hire one of those artificial ice rinks for the playground. The last time ours did this there was a huge turn-out. It also had a snow machine which added to the atmosphere.

twinklytoes Tue 15-Sep-09 19:59:14

we're heading for the same thing but with not enough volunteers so scaling down somewhat.

we're not doing the disco because of space and clearing up between the the fair and disco.

years 2-6 will be given a set amount per class and are being challenged to make the most out of it by setting up their own stalls from planning, to making to selling. This worked well last year so happy to replicate.

we're pulling in local businesses that do the party plans or small business traders to take stalls and will take a percentage of their sales.

we've got hot food vans and a traditional sweet stall traders coming in and if the weather is dry then they'll bring a couple of fairground rides and bouncy castle. we'll get a percentage of anything they make.

then they'll be games, tombolas and a grand raffle plus stalls where the children can make salt dough decorations or reindeer food etc.

the school choir will sing christmas carols and they'll be a visit from santa.

I've been busy over the holidays picking up things off of freecycle - xmas decs and even a santa's outfit! A teacher has also donated 50 beanie babies in mint condition - so there's the children's tombola.

we're also having two dress down days with teachers and children donating chocolate or non-perishable goods for the tombola.

we've looked into ice rinks - they are big bucks so only do if you think people will pay a high entrance charge.

CybilLiberty Tue 15-Sep-09 20:09:02

Have a mulled wine and mince pie stall

My school does 'Christmas Jars' where the children fill an empty clean jam jar with sweets, small toys etc and pop a christmas wrapping paper lid on the top. These go in a £1 tombola,everyone a winner, 100% profit.

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 16-Sep-09 09:32:42

I want to get reindeer and a santa (hire). Any recommendations? Been looking online but best price so far around £800 plus VAT!!

merrymonsters Wed 16-Sep-09 13:49:36

We have a 'presents for mum & dad' stall. In return for a non-uniform day (obviously the school has to approve this) we ask for the donation of small items suitable for children to give to the their parents for Christmas. We sell it all for about £1 each and it's very popular with the children. I think they also wrap the presents for the children so the parents don't see it. The parents aren't allowed in the room so there's an air of mystery about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now