Talk

Advanced search

why are there so many religious schools being built now?

(10 Posts)
southeastastra Fri 11-Sep-09 11:51:35

there were hardly any when i was younger. are people suddenly becoming more religious?

can't understand it myself.

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 12:20:21

Are there? Do you mean academies, they can have sponsors of a religious nature: 'Academies are all-ability, state-funded schools established and managed by sponsors from a wide range of backgrounds, including high performing schools and colleges, universities, individual philanthropists, businesses, the voluntary sector, and the faith communities.' (DCSF).

gorionine Fri 11-Sep-09 12:22:12

I cant say have noticed. They do seem to close schools rather than build them arround here!sad

southeastastra Fri 11-Sep-09 12:24:06

not academies, secondaries, one build here a few years back, another opening up in a neighbouring borough. find it depressing.

paisleyleaf Fri 11-Sep-09 12:24:49

There's a housing estate gone up not that far from me. And they have built a primary school. It's a church one, where you have to have been attending church for 18 mths or something to go to the school.
I can't help but think that they've done that to make the housing more appealing to young families looking for a 'good' school. And it seems to be working. The houses, and area aren't so good for the money IMO - but they are selling.

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 12:26:31

Academies are secondaries. No idea otherwise, it's not happening round here.

southeastastra Fri 11-Sep-09 12:28:19

oh right thought 'academy' had to appear in it's name

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 12:46:09

Many certainly are called academies, but I don't know if it's compulsory. You could google the names of the schools and look at their websites.

faraday Fri 11-Sep-09 20:21:23

The government is most probably misreading its statistics: ie faith schools do better academically than similar non faith schools, therefore encourage faith schools.

I believe they are missing the point: the reason faith schools do so well is for one or other, or ALL of the following reasons-

1) Selection. The DCs are selected, in this case via their family's belonging to a given religion. To be counted as 'belonging' the family have to demonstrate an ongoing, meaningful and often quite demanding commitment to the religion in order to meet the criteria.

2) Religions have certain expectations and demands they place upon the lifestyle of their adherents. The vast majority demand that children respect their parents and other adults. Therefore the DCs learn at an early age to respect people like their religious leaders and their teachers, thus less poor classroom behaviour.

3) Religions are communities. The DCs within them can reap the 'benefit' of close associations with adults other than their immediate family to guide and mentor them. There are more 'eyes' keeping tabs on them!

4) If you're basically 'cheating' to get your DC into an oversubscribed and popular faith school, you have to meet no. 1). That requires the sort of parental involvement, commitment and dedication which you'd expect would also produce a motivated and school-ready DC!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 11-Sep-09 20:29:50

Because Tony Blair thought they were a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now