Advanced search

my son was injured by teacher at school - advice needed

(128 Posts)
mrcerec Thu 10-Sep-09 17:05:45


A dad here grin

Yesterday my 12 year old son was playing football in the playground of his prep school. The music teaching assistant (22 yrs old) joined in the game without being invited. At close range he blasted the ball at my son (with no malicious intent) and succeeded in causing him to fall over and (as we later found out) tear a ligament. He then proceeded to tell my son that he was exaggerating his injury and left him to make his own way to matron. We spent 3 hours at a&e last night - a severe sprain and 4 weeks of no sport. I told the head this morning who basically poo-pooed the whole thing, despite a photograph of my son's extremely swollen ankle.

My questions are

1. Am I right to be cross about this.

2. What would you do - particularly when faced by the school's in difference

3. Would this happen in the state system?



AtheneNoctua Thu 10-Sep-09 17:18:00

I'd be rather annoyed with school's indifference. I would be a little less annoyed at the 22 year old. As you say, the intent was not malicious. But a 22 year old teacher should know that wholloping a ball at a 12 year old is not appropriate. So, I'd be mildyl annoyed, but these things happen.

Have no idea it has anything to do with state vs private. I'd be equally annoyed if it was a state school where this happened.

Will the ligament heal? Or will he need surgery?

mrcerec Thu 10-Sep-09 17:19:45

it'll heal - but he misses about 4 weeks of sport - which of course I'm paying for [hmm)

EldonAve Thu 10-Sep-09 17:20:47

what do you want to happen?
an apology? compensation?

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 10-Sep-09 17:21:07

Wtf does the fact that this was a prep school have to do with this story?

I would be cross but it was an accident. The teacher wrongly accused your son of exaggerating his injury - that would annoy me too.

What are you wanting to do? Sue them??

mmrsceptic Thu 10-Sep-09 17:21:30

take it further, of course

it's appalling

limonchik Thu 10-Sep-09 17:22:04

Accidents happen - I guess you'd feel better if the teacher apologised though?

Only difference in a state school is there'd be no matron.

mmrsceptic Thu 10-Sep-09 17:22:24

if a state school i bet you'd get legal aid to sue

mmrsceptic Thu 10-Sep-09 17:23:10

I should think you could sue, if you wanted to, but I shouldn't think you do want to.

Wonderstuff Thu 10-Sep-09 17:23:25

I would be annoyed at indifference and at the TA not helping you ds to matron.

No idea what you can do though. What do you want to achieve? I would want an apology, and would write a letter to the head copying the governers.

limonchik Thu 10-Sep-09 17:23:29

I can't believe ANYBODY would sue over this?

randomtask Thu 10-Sep-09 17:24:10

I'd be annoyed by the school's attitude.

Also, as far as I know (from DH a teacher and teachers who taught me) Teachers or any 'reponsible adult' are not allowed to play sport/physical actitivities with pupils so the school should be concerned about that.

As for the difference in schools, I suspect in a state school there would be a system in place. If DH did anything like that he'd have filled out reports by now, answered to the head of department/head teacher etc by now as well as contacting the parents to let them know.

MmeLindt Thu 10-Sep-09 17:24:41

Not quite sure what you want to do? Sue them?

I think that an apology from the teacher should be issued - to your DS not to you.

Other than that, I think that accidents happen.

mmrsceptic Thu 10-Sep-09 17:25:03

If you mean extra sport you've paid the money for, you should get that back.

Wonderstuff Thu 10-Sep-09 17:25:27

I don't imagine you would get legal aid to sue! I don't think suing would be a great idea either in state or private sector. Is the sport you are paying for an extra curricula thing with the school?

twirlymum Thu 10-Sep-09 17:25:46

Accidents happen.
I would be a bit cross at the schools indifference, but I certainly wouldn't take it any further.

mmrsceptic Thu 10-Sep-09 17:26:22

of course people would sue

EldonAve Thu 10-Sep-09 17:26:27

welcome to MN btw

LottaRump Thu 10-Sep-09 17:26:30

The only bit you can be cross about really is the fact that the music teacher felt he was exaggerating. And I would be cross too. He doubted your son which would piss me off.

Apaprt from that, accidents happen. It was an accident as you say.

Hope your son is ok

dogonpoints Thu 10-Sep-09 17:26:45

it was an accident, a sporting accident.

(hollow depressed laugh at 'sue')

wilkos Thu 10-Sep-09 17:27:24

it was an accident. kids have accidents. the fact that the guy that kicked the ball was
a - a teacher
b - 22 years old

has nothing to do with it. as for him not helping your boy to matron, well...that was wrong

but what realistically do you want to achieve from complaining to the school? you re sounding a bit precious, sorry.

mmrsceptic Thu 10-Sep-09 17:27:57

a ligament is not a minor injury, and you should compare best practice guidelines in the state sector with your school's best practice

people aren't going to be sympathetic because it's a prep school imo

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 10-Sep-09 17:28:28

"if a state school i bet you'd get legal aid to sue"

sorry, but, what ???

mmrsceptic Thu 10-Sep-09 17:28:48

ps I am sympathetic and wilkos is wrong, it has a great deal to do with the fact that it was a teacher

Hulababy Thu 10-Sep-09 17:30:36

1. yes you are right to be cross. I would be very cross at the school's indifference. I would be looking for an apology and a word to the TA to remind him that 12y boys are not the same as 20y men, and he needs to be more careful, and to apologise in person to your son.

2. I would put my concerns in writing to the head, and CC to the governing body. I would expect a reply.

3. Of course [hmmm] This seems a bit of a bizarre comment TBH. It was an accident, albeit caused by a TA not being entirely professional. Accidents, as far as I am aware, happen anywhere.

As for the idea anyone would sue over it [hmmm] Really, why? What are you suing for? You can only get compensation for loss of earnings or costs caused to the child. There would be no point. And you'd only get legal aid, if it was even applicable to such a case, if you personally met the financial criteria. It doesn't matter if you are at state or independent school when it comes to getting aid or not!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: