Talk

Advanced search

Teachers Code of Conduct: What do you think??

(16 Posts)
faraday Fri 04-Sep-09 08:48:57

here

trickerg Fri 04-Sep-09 18:47:36

Here is a summary from the GTC's website, which is trying to justify it:

The Code does not intrude into teachers’ private lives in the way that some have alleged. Personal misconduct outside school would only be drawn to the GTC’s attention if the alleged behaviour were serious enough to warrant dismissal. Provided behaviour is legal and private, this is a matter for individuals but the GTC will assess any behaviour that may damage the ability of the individual to fulfil their role because it has become public.
The GTC has heard only two cases which related entirely to a teachers lawful but unacceptable conduct outside school, and in both cases the teacher received and accepted a reprimand.
There is a strong body of case law which confirms that individual members of professions have a duty to uphold the reputation of their profession by observing reasonable standards of personal conduct and the legal advice we sought on our Code raised no issues about the relevant principle (no 8)

It does beg the question why it's needed if: a) there have only been two cases relating to it, b) there is a strong body of case law already in existence confirming that professional need to observe 'reasonable standards' outside work, and c) behaviour would need to be reported to the GTC, and serious enough to warrant dismissal.

Storm in a tea cup. Something for the GTC to do, in a vain effort to justify its dubious (and incredibly well-funded) existence.

KembleTwins Fri 04-Sep-09 18:53:27

Think it's a bit ridiculous - lots of media hoo-hah (DM will love it) but essentially I agree with trickerg - storm in a teacup.

Obviously it's grossly unfair, and if it's really as invasive as some claim, that must surely apply to ALL public sector workers, or ALL "role model" type professions, which, of course, it won't.

On a personal level, the embarrassment factor involved in being spotted falling out of a nightclub by a gang of Yr 11s would always prevent me from getting myself into that position. I have worked with colleagues who think it's fine to smoke, drink, swear etc in front of pupils (on school trips, for example) and I think that's wholly inappopriate, but I don't think it's reasonable for a "code of conduct" to specify what teachers are and aren't allowed to do in their own time.

piscesmoon Fri 04-Sep-09 19:09:02

I think the GTC is a waste of space and I resent having to pay fees every year!

Littlefish Sat 05-Sep-09 15:48:40

During the holidays a few years ago, a friend of mine was found guilty of being over the drink drive limit. He is a very careful driver, but was stopped by the police the day after he had been drinking. He was only just over the limit).

He fully accepted the ban that was given to him.

He made a decision not to tell his headteacher.

The GTC wrote to him to say that unless he must tell his headteacher, and that they would be writing to the school within 3 weeks.

He had to go through a full disciplinary procedure before being giving a warning.

As far as I'm concerned, the incident in no way affected his ability to do his job and yet now, there is a formal warning on his record.

The whole GTC thing is a crock of shit as far as I'm concerned. I resent being treated like a child and being told how I must behave outside school.

Like pisces, I really resent paying every year for something which does not benefit me in any way at all as far as I can see!

Littlefish Sat 05-Sep-09 15:49:10

given, not "giving"

janeite Sat 05-Sep-09 16:02:42

I agree - the GTC is a waste of time, money and resources (the crap they send out adds hugely to the recycling piles in schools) and the code of conduct is just silly.

Littlefish Sat 05-Sep-09 16:08:22

Blimey - I've just re-read mine. I really can write proper sentences, honestly!

It should say...

The GTC wrote to him to say that he must tell his headteacher, and that they would be writing to the school within 3 weeks.

trickerg Sat 05-Sep-09 16:57:50

The stupid thing is that the government is funding the GTC as they are refunding our subscriptions. I think it's about £23 per teacher... there are approximately 440000 teachers in England (hurray for the internet!)....23x440000 = over £10m per year. Hmmmm... no wonder they can afford lots of expensive glossy brochures.

mosschops30 Sat 05-Sep-09 17:02:58

Nurses have one so why not teachers, and we pay £76 for it every year!

Wonderstuff Sat 05-Sep-09 17:03:01

Actually its £33 a year £14.5 million.angry How many extra teachers would that pay for??

mosschops30 Sat 05-Sep-09 17:03:23

well not for the code, but to be registered.

Wonderstuff Sat 05-Sep-09 17:04:25

mosschops are nurses conduct outside work checked up on though?

mosschops30 Sat 05-Sep-09 17:07:00

well if you get drunk in town for example and given a caution or anything, then yes it can affect your registration.
You are expected to uphold the profession at all times, including when you are not working (I think that arse Makosi was investigated after BB)
My stepsister was struck off the nursing register for drink driving and assaulting a police officer (but shes an arse)

mosschops30 Sat 05-Sep-09 17:08:24

we are also awaiting guidleines about Facebook useage and have been advised that anything discussed/shown etc on FB that would again look bad for the profession may be used against us

trickerg Sat 05-Sep-09 17:16:43

Do nurses have unions AS WELL as a GTC-type thing? We all 'have' to pay over £100 a year union fees as well.

wonderstuff - I knew it ended with a 3!! Wow! That's a criminal amount, isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now