Talk

Advanced search

Cut off date for entry into Scottish school systems?

(4 Posts)
JoInScotland Tue 01-Sep-09 00:50:00

Hello,

I'm new to Mumsnet but have lived in Scotland for 12 years, lived in England before that and am originally from the States.

I hear that it's unfortunate for a child to be born in the summer (in England) since the cut-off date for entry into Primary 1 is usually September 1. Is there a similar cut-off date for Scotland, set in stone? Although I've been here for a long time, I don't know how the school systems work (in a detailed way).

I'm pregnant with my first child, due in January 2010, but I just wondered, how it may affect any subsequent children we have...

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Tue 01-Sep-09 07:41:13

Hi welcome. In Scotland the cutoff date for a child starting school is the for children who turn 5 before February 28th in the academic year. Effectively this means when your dc is 4 in 2014 they can enrol.however with january and February birthdays there is option to defer for a year when dc go to school whenthey are 5 and a half. Any subsequent dc born on or after 1st march would go to school in the academic year they turn 5. HTH.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Tue 01-Sep-09 07:46:33

To clarify I meant the term before dc turn 5 with January and February birthdays so will be youngest in class if they go to school at 4 and a half in august 2014.they would be oldest if they went a year later in august 2015 when they are 5 and a half.

AMumInScotland Tue 01-Sep-09 09:41:42

Birthday from March through till August - they start in August after they turn 5

Birthday from September through till December - they can either start in August before they are 5, or wait till the following year. But if you decide to defer, you won't get a funded preschool place for the extra year.

Birthday in January or February - they can start in August before they are 5 or wait till the following year. You will (almost certainly) get a funded preschool place for the extra year.

Whenever they start, they will always start in P1 (Primary 1), so will not be missing out by not going at the earliest opportunity.

I think it's very common for Jan and Feb birthdays to defer, less so for earlier birthdays - but it's totally your choice as a parent whether you think your child is ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now