Talk

Advanced search

Changes to uniform- how much notice?

(14 Posts)
mantaray Sat 29-Aug-09 20:28:18

How much notice should a school (primary) give of changing the uniform.

Last week we received a letter explaining that the school uniform will be changing, we have until January to buy all the new stuff.
I am a little cross as the week before the letter arrived, I went out and bought all the old style uniform- 4 special school blouses (£10 each), tights in old colours etc. I also bought 2 sweatshirts in the old colours in the summer term.

So, is a term adequate for the school to give the parents time to re-buy everything? Some parents seem to think a school needs to give more notice. There was nothing in the summer term that mentioned a change in uniform.

trickerg Sat 29-Aug-09 20:48:52

They should allow a transition period then. Lots of people will have bought the old style. Is it very different?

LadyPinkofPinkerton Sat 29-Aug-09 20:52:17

It seems a bit crap that they didn't tell you before the summer hols. Surely most people will have bought uniform by now.

bran Sat 29-Aug-09 20:57:19

We were told a fortnight before the end of summer term what the new uniform would be for this September, but we were given plenty of warning that it would change. I think we were told well before Easter holidays, and then there was a survey to find out the type of new uniform parents wanted.

I think it's a bit off to change the uniform in January, it's bloody hard to buy school uniform after September. DS changed school last year in October and it was quite a struggle to get some of it.

roisin Sun 30-Aug-09 09:38:11

I think it's pretty outrageous that the uniform supplier is selling the old-style blouses that are about to become obsolete.

Most people buy uniform before the final week of the hols, so will have just bought a complete set that they expect to last all year.

In those circumstances I think the school should allow children to wear the old style for the whole year.

Is it a complete major change, or just a tweak?

If it's a complete change (therefore marking out children whose parents can't easily afford to splash out on a complete new set), then they should delay the new uniform for a whole 12 months IMO.

I would be writing to the Chair of Govs immediately.

roisin Sun 30-Aug-09 09:39:23

If a school is changing uniform for 1 September, I think they should tell parents by Easter hols at the latest.

NoahFence Sun 30-Aug-09 09:40:01

hi roisin
its ME
ds starts on wed!

dilemma456 Sun 30-Aug-09 10:35:00

Message withdrawn

mantaray Sun 30-Aug-09 10:47:44

Thank you all for the replies. I have a letter drafted and I just wanted to check that I wasn't being unreasonable in my thoughts that more time was needed.

Nothing had been mentioned previously about the impending change. I even bought new sweatshirts in June last term.

The uniform is a complete change. Some of the change makes it more financially feasable, one can now go to Tescos etc to get shirts/blouses eyc. Other stuff needs to be bought from the school which is fair enough. I don't mind that. It was obvious when we went to the school suppliers that thye had no idea, a fellow mum had been in the day before and also purchased the old style stuff. A week or so later we get the 'all change' letter.

I'm most disgruntled that I bought the old stuff before we went on holiday and attempting to avoid the last minute rush. I then washed it all, ironed and put the lables in so no chance of taking it back- 40 quid on 4 shirts!!

Thanks again.

faraday Sun 30-Aug-09 16:08:44

There was a huge hoohah at the private Lutheran College near where I lived in Oz: They changed their uniform more often than Man Utd- and it was a COMPLETE change, nothing interchangeable and all only purchasable from the school- and a term in which to do the change! The school were ALMOST open about it being a money making exercise for them until finally enough parental pressure caused them to make the tiny concession of a year's grace in the old uniform, though of course that came with a destruction of the very reason we HAVE uniform- the avoid differentiating rich from poor, so the wealthier families could afford to change on cue, the poorer were stuck in the old uniform for a year...!

roisin Sun 30-Aug-09 16:37:12

Hiya Noah! Is he nervous? Have you sewn in all his nametapes beautifully? (I got my mum to do ours, whilst I ironed, cos I'm so hopelessly slow!)

I can't believe how much ds1 grew up and matured in the first month or so. He's so independent now.

mumoverseas Sun 30-Aug-09 17:32:14

We got a letter at the beginning of July to say the uniform was changing With regards to the changes of PE kit, we have a year to phase it in but with regards to the school skirt and a sweatshirt the new ones must be worn in September. I was very annoyed as I'd bought new uniform in June, just before they advised of the change.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 30-Aug-09 17:48:13

We had a year whilst both options were acceptable - the old uniform and the new (logos added to sports kit and jumpers).
From this september, only the new kit will be acceptable.

I think this is a good way to do it.

Smithagain Tue 01-Sep-09 17:29:46

That's outrageous!

Our uniform changed a few years ago, when three schools merged into one. They allowed a one year transition period and the basics (shirts, trousers, skirts etc) stayed the same. Most people did buy at least part of the new uniform, but there was no pressure.

I thought a year was pretty standard, if nothing else for the benefit of the Yr6s, who can't reasonably be expected to have a whole new kit for just three terms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now