Talk

Advanced search

who do i write to re financial situation re school fees?URGENT!

(14 Posts)
rinol Tue 25-Aug-09 18:50:36

Basically my DD is at a large Independent school(junior and senior) and due to my husband losing his job in the last six months;we will be struggling to pay next terms fees....We have written a letter to the school however not sure whether to send it to the 'Head Teacher' or to the 'Accounts Dept'.....If anyone has been in a similar situation...advice would be most welcome..

cluckyagain Tue 25-Aug-09 18:55:27

I would write it to the Headmaster - he/she will soon copy it to the bursar in any case. You may find that they are happy to change terms of payment at least in the short term as they are aware how bad things are for people and don't want to loose pupils. The only problem is that you may end up with massive debt being owed to the school in the long term - it's up to you if you want to go down that route. In the meantime though it never hurts to talk to them about it - it might be worth ringing them instead as it's harder to say no by phone!

franklymydear Tue 25-Aug-09 18:58:08

To the Bursar

Amapoleon Tue 25-Aug-09 18:59:59

I'd ring and make an appointment with bursar, accountant whoever is in charge of finance.

Lots of schools are doing payment plans because of the current climate.

vinblanc Tue 25-Aug-09 19:00:57

I think it would better to make an appointment to see the Headteacher. The HT will defer to the bursar, if necessary.

Sorry to hear about the job loss and hope that the situation is very temporary.

crokky Tue 25-Aug-09 19:04:29

I would make an appointment to see the headteacher. My kids aren't old enough for school yet, but a friend is looking for an independent secondary for her DD and needs financial assistance. If you go and see the headteacher, they might be able to do more for you than just making a payment plan or deferral, they might be able to get you a bursary or some sort of award etc. You never know what's on offer until you ask!

claricebeansmum Tue 25-Aug-09 19:05:55

In the first instance write to the Bursar.

Hulababy Tue 25-Aug-09 19:07:55

Bursar
Head
Governors

All of above are people who may be able to help.

How soon do you have to pay them after term starts? Think we have 14 days or so. If you have time, I would request a meeting as I imagine it would be something best discussed face to face if possible.

floaty Tue 25-Aug-09 19:12:43

I work in an independent school,you need to write to the Bursar ,probably copy to headmaster ,although to be honest if I were you I would call the Bursars dept/secretary and ask for an appointment ,explain the situation,they will be very used to these types of situations and will probably have a procedure.The key is to be as honest and up front as you can ,most schools will be pretty helpful in the first instance especially if they can be confident that you are being open with them .Good Luck

bloss Tue 25-Aug-09 19:14:53

Message withdrawn

rinol Tue 25-Aug-09 19:22:14

Thankyou all for your help....Will call the school tomorrow...Unfortunately there is no bursary awarded in the Junior school...only in senior!and my DD has 2 years left of the Junior school.....

floaty Tue 25-Aug-09 23:01:42

They may still be prepared to give you some help on hardship basis,for example by rolling up the fees,sometimes there may be no bursaries but there may be an emergency fund,a lot depends on how likely you are to be able to afford the fees in the future,whther this is a blip or likely to be a long term problem

mumoverseas Wed 26-Aug-09 09:37:58

Just because they don't 'usually' award bursaries in the junior department doesn't mean they won't in your case.

My DC went to a private prep school who gave bursaries in certain circumstances, including to a friend of mine whose H left her and she was struggling to pay the fees. I know the school were really supportive then and as others have said, I'm sure you won't be alone.
Pretty sure the school would rather get something from you towards the fees than lose a pupil.

Good luck x

dilemma456 Fri 28-Aug-09 19:50:10

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now