Talk

Advanced search

Rochester - thinking of moving there... what are the schools like?

(8 Posts)
helpivegottogivebirth Wed 19-Aug-09 10:48:52

We have a new family and need more space so thinking of moving from SE London to Rochester area. Are the schools good?

Is there a good grammar school? A cathedral school?

Are there montessori childrens schools?

Just intrigued by anyone's views on schools and the area in general really.

thanks

Heated Wed 19-Aug-09 10:53:43

Rochester Girls is pretty good, and I think there is a good boys grammar as well. Would find out who their main feeder primaries are, if you have dc under 11. The alternative is to go further south and into Maidstone where there are 2 boys and 2 girls grammars.

Heated Wed 19-Aug-09 10:57:38

Rochester has some nice parts, especially the cathedral, but it does rather merge into Chatham is where the word "chav" originated and unless you are keen on maritime history, is rather unattractive imo.

Kelloggs36 Tue 22-Sep-09 21:02:40

As with all areas in the country, Rochester has its good and bad areas. There a.re plenty of good grammar schools - the girls' grammar school, Rochester Maths School (boys' grammar) and the private Kings school. Chatham isn't that bad - if you avoid Luton and Weedswood areas. There are grammar schools there too - Fort Pitt Grammar school had an outstanding OFSTED report, and there is Chatham Grammar school for girls and boys, plus Rainham Mark Grammar school in Rainham (not that far away). Chatham is being regenerated at the moment and so is currently a bit of a mess, but it will get better!! It is cheap in terms of house costs and very convenient for all other areas in the SE. London is only 45 mins away by train, and Bluewater for decent shopping about half an hour drive away. M2 links very close and cheaper council tax compared to most of the country too

cuppateaplease Wed 23-Sep-09 09:18:47

Be aware that Rochester itself is under Medway council - which is a seperate entity to Kent. There are lots of differences between them re schooling/transport. eg different 11+ exams and Kent subsidise secondary school transport with a freedom pass (costs £50 per year and child can catch any bus in Kent - not just at school times) but it will not cover Medway buses and you can't have it if you live in Medway. (Although I guesss that could change by the time you need them!)
Also, my postal address includes the word Rochester and I have a Medway post code, but I actually live in Kent and DS goes to a Kent school!

There are a couple of montessori schhols one of which is in Strood.

trickerg Wed 23-Sep-09 19:26:07

Why doesn't anyone mention the schools that aren't grammar schools? What are they like?

missmapp Wed 23-Sep-09 19:36:28

Non grammars are ok, but a bit mixed so you will need to do your research. Chatham South is ok, but may be closing!!! I would avoid Medway Community College, but I hear it has a new head, so may be improving. The grammars do make for a two tier ed system tho'

dadisgal Tue 10-Nov-09 22:01:47

Please can anyone give me any information about kings school in Rochester, will be trying for their bursary awards and scholarships for senior school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now