Talk

Advanced search

Kumon maths classes

(9 Posts)
wahwahwah Tue 11-Aug-09 17:10:01

Are these any good?

DS is pretty good with numbers - we are NOT! Both sides of the family have lots of brainy bods who are Good With Big Sums (engineers, architects, economists...) so we hope being numerate has just jumped a generation!

LynetteScavo Wed 12-Aug-09 01:12:40

I didn't find them useful atall for my DS...it weemed to be 10 mins perday of really easy maths questions for no apparent reason. We gave up after 3 months.

goinggetstough Wed 12-Aug-09 09:08:35

We did kumon maths when my now teenage children were 7 and 6 years old. We found it useful for mental maths both number bonds and multiplication tables and as they progressed for harder maths eg algebra. All children start off with what seems like very basic maths to ensure they can do it (timed tests) and to give them confidence in maths. I would also say that although 10 mins a day doesn't sound much, there will be days when children don't want to do the maths and it takes ages.

CaramelisedOnions Wed 12-Aug-09 09:20:26

We have found it quite good for mental maths for youngest (yr 4) and fractions/algebra for eldest (yr 8). Eldest is doing maths with Kumon that has stretched her beyond what I can help her with...I am a maths dumbo. She is now back in the top set for maths and coping confidently (confidence is the key benefit as far as I can see from Kumon).

Why not give it a try? You will have to put up with basic stuff for many months but the real 'waste of time' is giving up at this point and not perservering through the dull bit. Once the basics are cemented in the harder stuff will be easier and will come quick and fast.

PS be prepared to be put off by it on here, you need to make the decision for your child and what suits you all.

goinggetstough Wed 12-Aug-09 10:28:37

Totally agree with Caramelisedonions lots of people don't like it but what I forgot to mention earlier was that we did it for 18 months and I certainly don't regret it for either child and I have one academic and one SN child. I think that to get anything positive of out of kumon like most things the children and the parents have to work hard and for a decent period of time. Confidence is the key and that comes with practice.

CaramelisedOnions Wed 12-Aug-09 11:45:41

cheers 'going' I do feel a bit like I have to be on the defensive with Kumon, but it is very true that you have to stick with it. Kumon will give you as much as you put into it. There is no point in doing it for a quick fix, also it will not make you child into a genius overnight.

Wah Wah, what you need to be prepared for is doing a workbook every day of the year, takes about 10 mins usually but if the DCs are feeling awkward can take longer....

DCs not massively keen but it really is only 10 mins a day, gives them confidence to work alone, make mistakes, and self discipline to just get on and do it for themselves.

amicissima Wed 12-Aug-09 20:30:12

My 'I can't do maths' DD did Kumon for a few years and it made a huge difference. It's arithmetic rather than school maths. One thing is that they stick to one method for each function and repeat it, gently getting harder until the child has totally mastered it.

In school they seem to have to rush through the syllabus, moving through various methods and more 'applied' type topics, which can leave a child who hasn't really grasped any one method floundering. With DD I explained that she should try what she was learning at school, but not worry if she was stumped, as the Kumon would leave her able to do the arithmetic very well. She got an A for Maths IGCSE.

I also think the idea of sticking with something she found hard, and working at it for 10 mins a day, until she could see she was really conquering it gave her confidence and was a life lesson. She went from about year 3 to year 6 IIRC.

kif Wed 12-Aug-09 20:33:40

Kumon isn't really to stretch a bright kid.

It's more to develop confidence in a 'can't do maths' kid.

How old is your DS?

jellycat Thu 13-Aug-09 11:20:07

I saw an advert the other day for a free trial for Kumon. I think it ran between 20th Sept and 20th Oct or thereabouts. I can't find a reference to it online though (we were at the cinema when we saw the ad). Might be worth giving it a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now