Advanced search

11 year old in Scotland School Phobic

(8 Posts)
mazworld15 Sun 09-Aug-09 15:19:30

Hi all, am hoping someone in Scotland can give me some advice regarding my 11 yr old nephew (he's in Scotland, I'm in England)
P has finished primar school at last, he was hardly ever there the last year, has had a horrible time in school, no friends, bullying etc,
My sister, his mum is a single parent and has bi-polar disorder, she has been in hospital for the past 6 weeks and P is living with my elderly parents.
P is due to start secondary school in August, I am pretty sure ha wont be able to, he's terrified and with his mum in hospital is obviously very anxious.
Until his mum gets out of hospital my parents are going to keep him at home, does anyone know if it's correct that you can do this since he's finished primar? I'm presuming they wont allow my sis to home educate in Scotland because of the bi-polar?
Any advive would be gratefully received x

AMumInScotland Sun 09-Aug-09 16:41:54

Hi, I'm in Scotland and have HEd DS for the last two years.

If he's finished primary and not registered at secondary, then they don't need to ask permission to HE. But, if the council get in touch, they can be asked to show how they are providing him with a suitable education. You/they should have a look at the Schoolhouse website for more info on the kinds of things they might ask, and there are also people there you can contact who've got more experience of these sorts of questions. Their website is

For the future, I don't know whether your sis being bipolar would automatically mean they wouldn't allow it - if there is reason to believe that she's not able to give him a suitable education, then there could be a problem. But as long as your parents are involved as well, and able to give him continuity when she has a bad patch, then I don't see why it would be a problem. They just need to know that he is genuinely getting an education, not having to be a carer, or things being too chaotic to give him the chance to learn.


shootfromthehip Sun 09-Aug-09 16:51:59

There are schools in Scotland that cater for School refusers/ phobics. They can tailor his timetable and learning requirements (to a degree) around him. Does he have a social worker/ Ed Psych? Does he have a Record of Needs?

I know that 'Special Schools' are not part of the inclusion ideology but there are some really good ones with trained staff who can help with his type of difficulties. My Mum is a Depute Head at an EBD School who works with refusers/ phobics and they can make really good progress to the degree where thay can actually re-integrate some kids.

Worth investigating through SS?

Kayteee Sun 09-Aug-09 19:39:17

Hi Mazworld,

If you would like to email me I can send you some contacts to get in touch with in Scotland.

[ look here for info re home ed]]

My email addy is

Kayteee Sun 09-Aug-09 19:39:50

try again

mazworld15 Wed 12-Aug-09 11:45:14

Hi all and thanks for replies, will e-mail u katie x

Kayteee Fri 14-Aug-09 17:49:41

Have emailed you some info, Mazworld. Let me know if you get it smile

Informer2 Fri 28-Aug-09 21:15:48

Er self defence and parkour/free running

lessons comes to mind

Also how about giving said kid a punk haircut... not hurting anyone but getting into trouble would give said kid some cred points and not be seen as a wuss so can learn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now