Talk

Advanced search

DS starting school, tips please on how not to be sobbing mess

(4 Posts)
MorePudding Sat 08-Aug-09 13:39:22

I'm not looking forward to ds starting school in September, he's totally chilled about it but I need to sort myself out! I love him being at home and feel it's the end of an era and worried we'll lose the closeness that we have. I know it's inevitable and that letting go is all part of being a parent etc etc. It's mainly the saying goodbye at school on the first day that I'm dreading and am not sure I'll be able to keep tears at bay. Would appreciate any tips for surviving that first day and not embarassing either ds or myself. Thanks

fatzak Sat 08-Aug-09 13:41:44

The only way I think I will be able to stop myself from sobbing is to think how much it would upset him seeing me cry and it would make it even worse.

DS isn't even 4 yet and starting full time in September sad

Once he has gone in I don't care how much I blub!!!!

SecretSlattern Sat 08-Aug-09 13:53:54

You won't lose the closeness that you have because the time you spend together outside of school becomes all the more special imo.

I was like you a year ago when DD started reception. Now, I'm counting the days (and minutes and seconds grin) until she goes back. I know I'll probably feel a bit weepy when she goes (she is starting a new school) but I know I'll soon get over it.

Honestly, you will be fine. Just try and hold the tears until he has gone in and then let it all out when he is out of sight. It's an exciting time for them too, the transistion from being mummy's baby to being a big boy, so try to celebrate it with him.

MorePudding Sat 08-Aug-09 18:48:10

Thanks guys, you've made me feel better about it and I will do my very best to keep a stiff upper lip...until he's out of sight! Hope your first days go well too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now