Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Worried about high frequency words !!! HELP !!!!

(10 Posts)
kinkipinki Tue 24-May-05 21:45:03

dd is 4.5 and concerned that her reading is behind, put together a chart with all the high frequency words on and played a game where she could put a sticker next to all the words she knew, i.e. without any help from me, she could only tell me 6. With only 7 wks of term left and Yr1 looming (dfe standard that all 45 words should be known by end of YR)is she behind, should I be worrying? Should the school be concerned ? What should I do?

foolysh Tue 24-May-05 21:48:34

I think the MN consensus is not to worry about it....
What your child can do is still quite normal. Does the school tell you they're satisfied with her progress?

stitch Tue 24-May-05 21:53:03

do NOT worry or get stressed.
she still has half a term, and all of the summer holidays to get through. and as long as she is reading before her year 2 sats, its fine.

kinkipinki Tue 24-May-05 22:03:41

thanx foolysh, school says she is fine, but what nade me worry more is spoke to my sister-in-law and niece is same age, but at diff school, her teacher has contacted her several times regarding her reading, sounds like my dd and nieces knowledge of words is similar and her school IS concerned. They have made suggestions on how to help my niece and are taking her out of the class once a week for extra support. Is it just an inconsistency acroos the board at reception? is it my nieces school is more pushy or is there an issue at my school, most imp does my dd need extra help. I am far from a pushy parent, I just dont want dd to have problems or lag behind, she is very sensitive, confidence lacking at times and has already got upset because she is aware other children can read things she cant. even tonight she said to me when going throug words, are the easy words mummy and i said when u know them they will be and I will help u... feel muddled about this..!!!!

roisin Tue 24-May-05 22:08:59

Don't worry! Many schools focus on play in reception, and don't stress too much about the formal academic stuff ... there's plenty of time for that later.

You say she's only 4.5, so presumably she's one of the youngest in the class anyway.

By all means play some fun games with the HF words if you want - just choose 5 or 6 at a time though. Maybe make out a pair of cards for each, and match them up, or play a memory game with them, and encourage her to read them.

But she may just be exhausted after whole days at school, and just need to chill out and play at home - which is fair enough at this age.

emmamama Tue 24-May-05 22:35:14

I know where you are coming from kinks but you just have to remind yourself of her age. My ds will be 5 at the very end of August and I sometimes worry about how many of his high frequency words he doesn't know.

However I bet if you went through them with her again, she'll know more than she told you before. Quite often my ds just can't be bothered to think about those bloody words after school.

rickman Tue 24-May-05 22:38:20

Message withdrawn

peckarollover Tue 24-May-05 22:38:25

Im very aware that this may sound like a brag but it honestly isnt, i just want to illustrate a point.

I was getting worried about my DDs high frequancy words - when i tested her she was very hesitant, wasnt word building and "seemed" not to know the vast majority of them

she came home on friday with a "top reader award" for being tested and getting 70/70

I was totally staggered and have resolved to trust she is fine adn the school will let me know if I am to worry. Have wasted ages worrying about this and probably putting undue stress on her - looking back i probably was just making her not want to do them with me as i was sitting her down testing her when she probably just wanted to play

kinkipinki Tue 24-May-05 23:07:15

thanx all for reassurance!!! think i might speak to teacher and put my mind at rest once and for all, it is fab to hear others qs all this as much as me....

fsmail Wed 25-May-05 22:14:39

Hi, my ds is 4 as well, 5 end of June and he has struggled too with reading. However, the school did action words with the kids that he really enjoyed because he was doing something while looking at the word. First they had the words with the picture of the action next to it, then the words without. He still does the action with the words and he seems to have more pleasure from doing them like that. Might help. They are still only young though. I used to think he would never be potty trained (age 3) and it happened overnight. My dps cannot understand why we worry about these things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now