Talk

Advanced search

What is expected of children when they start school?

(16 Posts)
JustcallmeDog Thu 30-Jul-09 09:05:37

Message withdrawn

sockmonkey Thu 30-Jul-09 09:18:45

As far as I know... I'm not a teacher, they will probably best advise you
Being able to count to 20 is one
Recognising some basic shapes and colours and some letters is another.
I worried about DS1 and eating, but the dinner ladies at his school were very on the ball and made sure he ate. He came home with certificates for doing well with his dinner. Just let her teacher know your worries.
Is this DDs reception year? If so it runs pretty much the same as nursery... learning through play. It's just all day instead of a morning or afternoon.

It's all very stressful as a parent though isn't it?

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 09:18:54

Is she having school meals or packed lunch? Usually dinner ladies are aware of the little ones and will hover around to make sure they are eating.

It's very normal not to be reading when they start school. Recognising letters is good, but they will all be taught from scratch anyway.

If she is good at dressing herself that is really useful. Don't worry too much about buttons - the teacher or class room assistant can help, but try to dress her in clothes that require the minimum help.

Is she fine with wiping her own bottom after a poo - that is the one thing I worked on with DS1 before school because they said they don't help children with that.

Try not to worry, they will all be in the same boat and your dd sounds fine smile

poopscoop Thu 30-Jul-09 09:23:22

At this young age, do not worry about anything. They will start from scratch and also assist with dressing, undressing, opeing packed lunch packets etc.

mankyscotslass Thu 30-Jul-09 09:26:08

All our school asks is that:

1. The child can take themselves to the toilet and clean themselves up.

2. They can dress/undress themselves. (I leave tricky buttons undone on PE days)

3. They can recognise their name.

treedelivery Thu 30-Jul-09 09:26:58

why aren't you on our thread!? In primary, called 'hand holding for sept newbies' or something. It's very nice, but quiter now for the holidays.
smile

JustcallmeDog Thu 30-Jul-09 09:30:23

Message withdrawn

JustcallmeDog Thu 30-Jul-09 09:31:01

Message withdrawn

bigchris Thu 30-Jul-09 09:32:13

dont buy clothes with buttons!
as someone says leave polo shirt buttons undone for pe days
toilet traini g most important, dont worry about letters and numbers
if shes not a good eater packed lunches help as they bring home their leftovers so you know how much theyve eaten
dont do much in the first few weeks after school and be prepared for a tired and grumpy four yr old smile

mrz Thu 30-Jul-09 12:15:04

I'm a reception teacher and don't expect children to be able to read or count or write their name ...plenty of time for them to learn.

It's useful if they recognise their own name when they see it and if they can dress and undress with only a little help - shoe laces are a no no unless they can do them themself - any idea how long it takes to tied 30 pairs of shoes - useful if they can go to the loo unaided, open and close their lunchbox and use a knife and fork.

JustcallmeDog Thu 30-Jul-09 20:50:27

Message withdrawn

hercules1 Thu 30-Jul-09 20:53:46

DD learnt very quickly how to put on a tie (got her one with elastic though) and to do and undo all her shirt buttons including the top one when she started reception.

GossipMonger Thu 30-Jul-09 20:53:54

and if she does have packed lunches try and get her 'easy to open' things.

Both my boys aged 4 and 7 struggle with Capri Sun juice drinks cos the holes are so small and the juice goes everywhere.

Biscuits and crisps in wrappers can be tricky too and yoghurt in tubes can be difficult to unwrap.

Imagine 75 kids all with things to open and only 5 or 6 dinner ladies!! grin

JustcallmeDog Thu 30-Jul-09 21:04:44

Message withdrawn

treedelivery Thu 30-Jul-09 21:12:43

official invite

Smithagain Fri 31-Jul-09 18:18:17

She sounds very, very like my DD1 was when she started school. She was absolutely fine - and streets ahead of some of the others in terms of numbers, letters etc.

The teachers were brilliant at helping picky/slow eaters get to grips with lunch time. Her teacher even sat and fed her occasionally when she was being really slow blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now