Talk

Advanced search

SOMEONE had to post this! The charitable status of private schools thing.

(11 Posts)
faraday Tue 14-Jul-09 13:34:54

private school charity status threatened

Blimey! Thought this had gone off the boil.

ChazsBarmyArmy Tue 14-Jul-09 13:46:37

Well maybe I should consider moving DS1 if the fees go up and not send DS2 to private school - except for the fact that the London borough we live in doesn't have enough primary school places and temporary classrooms (portakabins) are being used instead.(We moved over the summer 2yrs ago and got told there were 54 reception places left in the whole borough and 61 on the waiting list!) What have they done with the taxes DH & I have paid to support the education system, they haven't been spent on our kids as we have gone down the private route? Can I get a rebate?hmm

MollieO Tue 14-Jul-09 13:49:04

Not all private schools actually have charitable status. Ours doesn't and we have portakabins.

Mintyy Tue 14-Jul-09 13:50:27

There is another thread here

faraday Tue 14-Jul-09 14:06:37

Mm, maybe you could get a rebate chazs- but I think you'd find many others demanding a rebate for the old folks homes they don't use, the A & E they've never entered, the motorways they'd never driven on, the defence forces whose strategies they don't agree with.

faraday Tue 14-Jul-09 14:07:43

am looking at your posted thread to, mintyy!

ChazsBarmyArmy Tue 14-Jul-09 14:27:31

I was being facetious. All I was getting at is the idea that making private schools more expensive will cost the state more than the VAT benefits of it being a charity as more parents will move into an already overstretched state sector.

faraday Wed 15-Jul-09 07:49:37

I was being facetious, too.

The idea that one should effectively be allowed to opt in and out of financing 'the public good' as it suits oneself.

karise Wed 15-Jul-09 20:00:49

The state system has failed our DD so she starts prep in September & we will struggle with the fees but have no alternative provision for the more able in our area.
Why on earth should we have our fees increased to support low earners who fancy a stab at the private sector? Are the more able not entitled to an education at all anymore? They are already vastly ignored in state as it is!!! angry

faraday Thu 16-Jul-09 08:21:18

One MIGHT reply 'Why on earth should a school that advantages such a small number of people over the rest be permitted to withhold its VAT claiming it's a charity?'

I could say "I don't mind as long as the universities act 'charitably' (ie advantageously!) towards a state educated DC who is just as clever as a privately educated DC but who got a grade lower in their A levels as a result of not being spoon fed through their education!"

scienceteacher Thu 16-Jul-09 08:24:51

As a taxpayer and concerned citizen, faraday, I would be very worried if univerisities turned away qualified applicants in favour of less qualified ones. It would not be good for the country.

Besides, comps are just as good as independent schools if you believe everything you read on Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now