Talk

Advanced search

How much TV do your DCs watch at school?

(8 Posts)
sameagain Tue 14-Jul-09 10:33:01

DS1 is just finishing year 3.

All year they seem (to me) to have watched an awful lot of television. It will be something loosely based on their topic, but usually not an educational project as such e.g they watched Disney's Robin Hood when doing "Myths and Legends" and Madagascar when doing "Rain-forests"

I understand that they are used as a talking point for literacy/numeracy etc, but a whole film must be at least 1.5 hours, which is a large % of the school day and they seem to watch c. 1 per week, plus other more educational programmes and also have free time on the computer where they play games.

DS1 has issues with concentration and I have been told it is important not to let him have too much screen time as it affects the way children learn to concentrate, because of the way information is presented in 3-4 second flashes, but seems little point me limiting it at home when they see so much at school.

Also strikes me that when parents put kids in front of the TV it's called lazy parenting, but at school its education?

Is this common and what (if anything) should I do?

scienceteacher Tue 14-Jul-09 10:47:53

None

sameagain Tue 14-Jul-09 10:55:04

Really Scienceteacher? Is your DC's school and exception do you think? Even back in the depths of time (before VCRs) when I was at school we watched the BBC Schools programmes like Look and Read.

Is the school/teacher being lazy or is there a valid reason for so much TV?

2kidzandi Tue 14-Jul-09 11:46:06

Would you have minded if instead of Robinhood for myths and legends they had put on something from the greek myths like Clash of the Titans or something older other than disney, if they had put on a Atteborough wildlife documetary to cover raiforests instead of madagascar? I do think T.V as a form of media can play a very important role in teaching when appropiately applied. I guess the question is was it in these cases? Actually I think it's computer use that is overdone in schools and home these days.

2kidzandi Tue 14-Jul-09 11:49:30

Attenborough (?), documentary, rainforests 'N' key not working unless I thump it.

sameagain Tue 14-Jul-09 17:03:46

It's not the use of TV at all that concerns me, it's the idea of children watching it for around a third of their day in the classroom, which will be the case if they watch a film straight through.

Hsl500 Tue 14-Jul-09 17:18:43

Hiya my boys are the same watching films all the time
They seemed to stop working month before school actually finishes for holidays
Hsl

littlebrownmouse Tue 14-Jul-09 21:08:54

We've just done fab literacy topic based on figurative language in films and leading to production of a film trailer. watched lots of clips and one full film, children took notes and had intelligent, in depth discussion afterwards. best literacy i've taught I reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now