Talk

Advanced search

Popular and safe method for DD to keep in touch with friends online?

(8 Posts)
karise Sun 12-Jul-09 18:52:00

Ideas anyone? DD is only 7 so I'm hoping to find a website where she can 'chat' to friends from her old school without having her own e-mail address. She can then just tell her best friends her online name & they can join in too (prefereably for free)! A bit like here really, only for kids. Does anything exist? Ideas please!

karise Sun 12-Jul-09 19:32:07

Bump..

Smithagain Sun 12-Jul-09 20:06:44

I'm curious why you want to do it via a website, rather than email. I would have thought that email was much safer?

mrsmaidamess Sun 12-Jul-09 20:08:57

My dd does MSN, she's 13. But at 7...isn't that a bit young?

Pyrocanthus Sun 12-Jul-09 20:32:31

Club Penguin, run by Disney, is worth a look. It's for 8-14 I think, but is pretty benign. Children take on the identity of a penguin and can play games and chat. I think it's very heavily moderated (I don't think Disney could afford to screw it up).

You have to pay (about a fiver a month?) to be able to participate fully; on the free version children can send each other stock messages from a list but can't chat freely.

I might not be remembering it accurately, but have a look for yourself.

trickerg Sun 12-Jul-09 21:41:51

Does your school have a virtual learning environment? Children can use messaging on a VLE (sometimes called a learning platform) safely with their own passwords from school, and it is regularly checked by the school site administrator in case anyone is saying things they shouldn't.

mumeeee Sun 12-Jul-09 23:18:23

Email is the safest way for a 7 year old to keep in touch with friends,

karise Thu 16-Jul-09 11:24:00

'Pyrocanthus' thank you!!!!
Found Club Penguin last night & it is just the sort of thing we were looking for! DD is telling all her friends today her 'penguin' name so they can meet her online. She is a very happy girl!! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: