Talk

Advanced search

did you ever have personalised pencils

(32 Posts)
Simples Sun 12-Jul-09 11:19:36

i knwo they are naff but i SO know ds1 will lose his.

Carrotfly Sun 12-Jul-09 11:26:36

Why are they naff ??

I had some and I never lost any of mine grin

Simples Sun 12-Jul-09 11:27:25

i dont know
they are a bit on a par with turning up with a briefcase

Simples Sun 12-Jul-09 11:27:48

no i mean he will lose normal ones

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 11:29:01

I never had any and neither did my dds - but they would have loved them. I am just too mean to pay for them when WH Smith's finest do just the same job!

Hassled Sun 12-Jul-09 11:32:45

I don't think they're naff - I bought some for my step-nieces a few years ago and they went down a storm.

But do they still use pencils at High School? I can't remember what my older DCs did - I told DS2 he'd need biros.

shonaspurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 11:34:14

Yes. They were the only personalised thing I ever had because of my sodding name.

I lost them all though.

MadameCastafiore Sun 12-Jul-09 11:36:05

I had some - I thought they were the epitome of coolness!

Simples Sun 12-Jul-09 11:37:34

oh really?
oh ok.
the MN link people sell them
able label or whoever

Sagacious Sun 12-Jul-09 11:37:38

I always wanted some.
Never got them...

[bitter]

Simples Sun 12-Jul-09 11:38:26

omg" they are an article of desire

i wil order

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 11:38:36

Is this for secondary school?

In that case, nope, I wouldn't recommend them. Just buy cheap ones and replace when lost.

Sagacious Sun 12-Jul-09 11:47:16

Simples they are an object of desire (for me)

For dc's I would think they are a loud siren proclaiming geek alert.

Don't subject your children to it

Purleese

Simples Sun 12-Jul-09 11:49:48

i was thinking geek

yes

yappybluedog Sun 12-Jul-09 11:52:23

all little kids love stuff with their name on it

hence all the tat you can buy in garden centres

not for the over 10's though, i would wager

Lindax Sun 12-Jul-09 11:54:10

PFB starting primary this year and I've got the personalised pencils and colouring pencils. (not to mention the personalised gym bag! blush )

Now not so sure............

School does ask for coloured pencils to be provided and labelled so hopefully not too geeky.

TheOldVicarage Sun 12-Jul-09 11:59:33

They're fine for younger kids - don't worry, he and everybody else will love them!

neversaydie Sun 12-Jul-09 12:32:07

Named ones tend to come home with the child occasionally, at least for a while, un-named rapidly disappear. You can just shave the paint off the base and write the name on with biro. Or buy the named ones which look nice.

We do either, depending on time and funds. But stuff that isn't named is a total waste of money, at least at our local primary!

roisin Sun 12-Jul-09 12:45:23

Generally the named ones are not great quality and break easiliy. I prefer to buy some good quality pens and tell them to look after them properly.

roisin Sun 12-Jul-09 12:53:44

ds1 has these I got him a tin with 12 in when I found them in the sale in WHS. They are really nice.

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 12:54:00

At the primary school my girls went to, children were discouraged from taking in their own pens, pencils etc and everybody used school ones. Nothing lost that way!

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 12:55:14

And it meant the nice stuff (lovely watercolour pencils) stayed at home safe to be used for home activities and homework.

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 12:55:43

Janeite does penance for over-use of the word 'home' in a post.

scienceteacher Sun 12-Jul-09 13:25:27

My parents never spent the extra money when I was a child. Others seemed to have them as gifts from grandparents and aunts/uncles.

The only time I have ever had them, I bought them for myself, and it was when I was first working in a comprehensive school. No one wanted to nab a teacher's pencil grin.

Takver Sun 12-Jul-09 13:54:52

DD (age 7) has some that she was given as a Christmas present, she was very pleased with them, and said some other children in school had them. She definitely thought they were cool. But she doesn't take them to school because she doesn't want to lose them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now