Talk

Advanced search

Would you send your child to Hogwarts?

(78 Posts)
FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 00:37:50

I'll sign ds up in the morning. Anyone know if there's an open day? grin

AitchTwoOh Sun 12-Jul-09 00:42:12

i don't believe in private education, my little muggle will just have to o to the local comp.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 00:43:10

I don't think Hogwarts is a private school, IIRC, it's entry by selection.

AitchTwoOh Sun 12-Jul-09 00:44:36

i presumed there were endowments held at gringotts for the muggles. the malfoys are definitely paying, it's one of the reasons they're so pissed off.

StayFrosty Sun 12-Jul-09 00:46:09

I have serious concerns about the thoroughness of the CRB checks Hogwarts runs on its teachers tbh.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 00:46:14

Mr Malfoy's a school governor, the Weasley's are not too well off so it must be by academic selection/wizard potential.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 00:48:26

All teachers have a bad day though StayFrosty. There are certain things that don't show up, being a werewolf for example. Poor Moody, the dude had an imposter, he's not criminaly(sp?) liable for that.

StayFrosty Sun 12-Jul-09 01:02:32

Gilderoy Lockhart seriously misrepresented his qualifications, and Professor Quirrell was suffering demonic possesion. Professor Binns had been dead for several years, and yet had little or no TA support. Obviously the selection/appraisal process needs reviewing somewhere along the line. Even if the real Moody had been appointed, I am not sure he would have been entirely appropriate. I would certainly have concerns over a teacher who drank from a hip flask during lessons.

Quattrocento Sun 12-Jul-09 01:06:47

No SATS, gotta be a bonus ...

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 01:07:45

Mental health illnesses are now covered by the disability discrimnation act, I agree with Lockhart though, that was bad but there was no way to check his qualifications as all the witnesses developed amnesia.

Maybe the hip flask contained water to keep his mouth moist whilst shouting talking?

MrsSpringsteen Sun 12-Jul-09 01:09:55

totally!!!!
A norweigan locum came to our house - we were gardening
She looked up at it and said 'You live at Hogwarts'
Made my week

In that case I must be Prof McGonagall!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 01:11:16

grin

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 01:15:52

StayFrosty - sounds very like my RC all girl high school.

thumbwitch Sun 12-Jul-09 01:23:53

Definitely but only if he was selected into Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. No Hufflepuffs or Slytherins in this house, ta.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 01:26:30

What's up with Hufflepuff? hmm

ds is a gryffindor through and through!

thumbwitch Sun 12-Jul-09 01:29:04

They're all a bit too nicey nicey - wouldn't suit us!wink

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 12-Jul-09 01:30:39

Nicey nicey would be nice. I can be nicey. You wait!!

MoominMymbleandMy Sun 12-Jul-09 01:47:44

If the owls deliver an offer of a place I will be trampled by my DD's rush to Kings Cross, so I don't think we'd have any choice.

If so, I hope she brings me home a house elf for Christmas.

TEJQ Sun 12-Jul-09 08:54:42

Only if we could get the kids on the train at Manchester - no way I'm trekking to bloody London for them to catch a train to Scotland!

cory Sun 12-Jul-09 10:36:30

Dd agrees that it sounds a very boring education: noone is ever seen to read a book for pleasure (even Hermione only ever reads instruction manuals). I think we'll pass on this one. Local comp sounds pretty good in comparison.

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 10:41:07

DD1 would be Ravenclaw and dd2 Gryffindor I think.

I would love them to be taught by McGonagall, who sounds an amazing teacher. Also I would like them to go so that they can take me to see the Weird Sisters when they play at the Yule Ball!

jambutty Sun 12-Jul-09 10:45:35

Dd1 says that's where she's going. Dd2 is definitely a Hufflepuff.

MuffinToptheMule Tue 14-Jul-09 10:44:06

I want to go

Milliways Tue 14-Jul-09 17:29:19

My son calls His school Hogwarts - as soon as he saw it, he said "I'm going there, it's like Hogwarts".

I would like him to go so he can do some useful spells around the house in the holidays

thumbwitch Tue 14-Jul-09 21:57:50

Ooh, that's a rather fab-looking school, Milliways - hope it lives up to its external appearance!

I too want a house elf...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now