Talk

Advanced search

Private school parents - do you bother with the school fee remission insurance?

(20 Posts)
EldonAve Sat 11-Jul-09 15:48:36

Private school parents - do you bother with the school fee remission insurance?

It only pays out if they are off school for more than 5 days - how likely is this?

It seems expensive at about £50 a term

Quattrocento Sat 11-Jul-09 15:51:25

I don't bother, no. What are the chances of your children being off for more than a week?

Neither of mine have had more than 5 consecutive days off school (touch wood) And £50 a term for 3 terms a year from 3-11 - that's £1200 x2 - so I've saved £2400. Must go and spend it instantly.

marialuisa Sat 11-Jul-09 15:55:06

no, we don't bother

bran Sat 11-Jul-09 15:58:15

I'd never even heard of it. What is it supposed to insure against exactly? Is it so that you can pay for tuition to make up what the child has missed?

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 16:06:19

No we don't bother. After all insurance is only there to save you money in a disaster that would cause you financial hardship like a house fire.

Is the fact your DC off school for 15 days likely to cause yo financial hardship? No because you would be paying the fees anyway. I do not insure the first £500 of loss on our house insurance for the same reason.

EldonAve Sat 11-Jul-09 16:15:08

Thanks everyone

Looks like the personal accident insurance is compulsory but at least that's only £6 a term

MollieO Sat 11-Jul-09 16:16:56

No we don't bother. Would do if ds had continued being ill but he seems to be a lot stronger now he's 5. He is more likely to miss a couple of days through term time holiday than through illness blush.

Hulababy Sat 11-Jul-09 17:00:52

No, we don't bother. TBH never heard of it either. Not sure I see the point.

In case of short term hardship such after a fire, etc we would rely on other insurances to help us outand if necessary, short tw=erm, could consider approaching school themselves.

scienceteacher Sat 11-Jul-09 17:34:13

I don't pay for fee remission insurance. They are never off school, let alone for five days.

I do pay BUPA though.

myredcardigan Sat 11-Jul-09 17:38:49

We don't bother either. We do have a policy in case DH is made redundant though as school fees would be a struggle then. But being off school would not cause hardship because you pay whether they're there or not.

violethill Sat 11-Jul-09 17:39:25

Wouldn't bother. Can't see the point

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 11-Jul-09 17:49:13

I did at ds's old school, it was £26 a term, never claimed from it though. I only know one parent that did, her child was off for 10 days with something or other.

TDiddy Sat 11-Jul-09 17:49:21

I think that we blindly pay this with school fees. Must look into it. thanks

violethill Sat 11-Jul-09 18:19:21

That's a good point TDiddy - maybe some of us have paid it unwittingly!

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 18:35:03

TDiddy/violte - yes our school slipped it onto the bill last term without asking us and we had to specifically opt out. Nice little earner that.

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 18:35:34

TDiddy/violethill - yes our school slipped it onto the bill last term without asking us and we had to specifically opt out. Nice little earner that.

slummymummy36 Sat 11-Jul-09 22:44:49

No. Nor the Bupa at £60 per term. I do the personal accident thouh at about £5 or £6 per term.

TBH - if my kids were that ill the fees would be the last thing on my mind. I also think that if the absolute worst happend like cancer etc and they were off for several months/a term etc then we would stand a good chance of "leaving" and re joining the school. Not an option for these schools where you have to register as soon as you realise your pregnant but at our school I dont think it would be an issue.

giantkatestacks Sat 11-Jul-09 22:46:24

Ours is only a tenner a term...still dont pay it though.

Loshad Sat 11-Jul-09 23:01:12

we don't pay it - never had one off for more than 5 days at a time over a cumulative 96 terms so far. we don't get offered BUPA, perhaps that's more of a southern thing, but do the personal accident which is pretty inexpensive.

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 23:10:28

slummymummy6 - what is the BUPA thing? Not seen that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now