Talk

Advanced search

best all-boys schools in london and the home counties

(14 Posts)
zebramummy Fri 10-Jul-09 21:26:45

we are currently in london although we want to move away from our area as the state provision for boys ed at age 11 is pretty awful and is nec. coed - i would like the option of sending him to an all-boys school until age 16. i have previously posted about nice areas to live in generally, though having thought through my priorities, this is prob the key issue for us. would appreciate any advice

LivingLaVidaLurker2 Fri 10-Jul-09 21:30:24

If you are interested in grammar schools then Essex has some very good ones - I know that the Colchester and Chelmsford boys' schools are outstanding.

surreylady Fri 10-Jul-09 21:37:38

Some ideas to Google - Private - RGS (Guildford), Hampton, Charterhouse. State - Grammers in the Kingston area - have assumed by best you mean academic but if not let us know

BonsoirAnna Sat 11-Jul-09 07:09:36

Tonbridge School

zebramummy Wed 15-Jul-09 20:47:31

thanks - yes i meant academic - i suppose i wold only be able to go private in areas where house prices were significantly less than london ones. i am not sure how i feel about amlost imossible to pass 11+ exams either though i suppose that also depends on how academic ds turns out to be

LadyMuck Wed 15-Jul-09 21:57:59

Missed your other threads - what sort of boy is your son? Different schools have different strengths, and if you are going to such lengths to find an appropriate school, then surely it should suit your son?

Are you definitely looking at day schools? Is he up to scholarship/11+ standard?

seeker Thu 16-Jul-09 00:51:21

Simon Langton grammar in Canterbury.

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 01:19:30

Judd in Tonbridge, which regularly outperforms Tonbridge School in the league tables and has the advantage of not costing £20,000 a year. It does take some girls in the sixth form, though.

Tiffin Boys' in Kingston. It's very very very selective, though.

zanzibarmum Thu 16-Jul-09 14:29:53

Cardinal Vaughan in Shepherd's Bush.

MoonchildNo6 Thu 16-Jul-09 17:02:26

RGS or Dr Challoners in Bucks

Milliways Thu 16-Jul-09 17:10:52

Reading School - selective grammar

Anxiety Tue 21-Jul-09 17:53:23

If you fancy a move up to the frozen North, St Cuthbert's in Newcastle is excellent!

Anxiety Tue 21-Jul-09 17:53:57

If you fancy a move up to the frozen North, St Cuthbert's in Newcastle is excellent!

zebramummy Wed 22-Jul-09 20:51:09

yes - i have friends in newcastle who keep telling me how fantastic the schools are! however, i dont think dh would be up for it. i am currently pondering over options in/around brighton - anyone??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now