Talk

Advanced search

How much trouble could I get into if I dont send my ds back to school in Sept.

(8 Posts)
whoingodsnameami Tue 07-Jul-09 20:02:49

DS has aspergers, he currently attends the language unit in a mainstream school, but his placement runs out at the end of this term. He will never cope in a mainstream class, and the school and I are currently trying to find him emergency placement for September in a special school. Unfortunately because it is so close to the end of term none of the schools will see me until middle of September, so legally, because he has to be in education I should send him to his current school until placement is found, however I know he will deteriarate fast in a mainstream setting even with a one on one assistant. So, I am thinking of not sending him back, and just asking for work he can do at home until a placement has been found. The way I see it, he gets so anxious and tearful in mainstream that he does'nt learn anything anyway, so whats the point in sending him. I know the idea is illegal but I have a good argument right?

lisad123 Tue 07-Jul-09 20:06:36

call the education bpard and tell them you'll be home ed till they can find a place, then its not illegal good luck

whoingodsnameami Tue 07-Jul-09 20:10:01

Yes, someone else said to give them a call, so its that simple??

ommmward Tue 07-Jul-09 20:32:43

you need to inform the school in writing that you are withdrawing him to home ed until te right place comes up.

sample letters at the Education Otherwise website.

And yes, it really is that simple. Please come on over to the HE topic and ask as many questions as you want about fending off over-officious LA staff wink

whoingodsnameami Wed 08-Jul-09 13:55:12

Thanks very muchsmile an emergency meeting is being hald at the school on Friday about his placement, so will see what comes of that before I tell them my plans.

mummyrex Thu 09-Jul-09 10:11:13

You usually only have to write to the school your child is in telling them that you are going to home-educate and asking the headteacher to remove your child's name from the school's register. You do not need to offer any explanation, indeed it is better if you don't. A simple, polite (and unemotional) letter is all that is required. The school will inform the LA who will subsequently be in touch in order to arrange a visit.

However, it is possibly not 'that simple' if the child has a statement specifying a school etc

mummyrex Thu 09-Jul-09 10:16:03

Sorry, should have said that you would have to provide his work etc if you elected to home-ed.

You could also come to a flexi-schooling arrangement with the school if they were willing. There is no legal reason (that I as a non-expert!) know of why that couldn't take place entirely at home perhaps while the situation was in flux.

asteroids Sat 29-Aug-09 12:41:54

Hi whoingodsnameami,
I've only just come across this thread but I'm interested to know what you have decided to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now