Talk

Advanced search

"this is IT" ( to coin a phrase) the all time ULTIMATE END OF TERM PRESENT for TEACHERS thread

(123 Posts)
Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 17:52:59

put them ALL here
no shirking

PULL that skirt down and no pushing.

poopscoop Mon 06-Jul-09 17:55:57

Well, I used to give the DC a bottle of wine and they could give it to whichever person at the school had been nicest to them during the year.

Please remember the TA's or dinner ladies etc because I have found they spend far more time with my DC than the teacher.

Plus if the teacher has been an arsehole, it is really nice to go in with a pressie and they think it is for them, only for the DC to go past and hand it to the TA, dinner lady or anyone else. In fact more often than not it was not the teacher who gets our present.

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 17:57:04

my faves are
tiny bottles of champagne sparkling wine wiht a crazy straw on it ( make up comedy medicin label if can be arsed)

cinema vouchers for men

amazon e vouchers

itunes cards ( for sterling work under duress)

FOR a TA a tiny nail varnish for toes wiht ribbon around it.

cool cocktail glasses from Ikea for a wine loving fun teacher( spec NQTs)

Juicy tubes from lancome( get in a pack of three and divvy up)

I once gave some Tas some cool designed kitchen tins rammed with marks chocolate raisins etc - but I knew she liked them so that was ok

NO WAY TO:

Smellies
drawer liners( that dumbfounded me)
out of date chocs

people say mugs but i like a mug meself.

If you have no money then send a lovely picture.

DO not send home made "things" you expect the teacher to put in their home

southeastastra Mon 06-Jul-09 17:57:06

it's creepy

poopscoop Mon 06-Jul-09 17:57:28

forgot to mention, it is always as bottle of wine in our house, because I just grab one from the rack. I have never been one to think about what to give the teachers at school, got far more important things to be getting on with. smile

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 18:01:49

here they are the glasses

yappybluedog Mon 06-Jul-09 18:10:16

ok, so it's a present for

the teacher
TA x2
dinner ladies x2
after school club people x3

so if I spend £5 for each thats £40 shock

no way pedro, they can have a homemade card and like it

<grumbles>

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 18:11:40

get the afetr school club people a box of chocs to share.
God i never do dinner ladies.

shubiedoo Mon 06-Jul-09 18:15:09

Starbucks vouchers

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 18:17:15

oh that is a good one

bigchris Mon 06-Jul-09 18:17:31

what about preschool teachers - there are about 5, is a box of chocs to share a waste of time?

bigchris Mon 06-Jul-09 18:17:59

if you give it on last day of term how will they share it <ponders>

squeaver Mon 06-Jul-09 18:18:05

Oh don't you have a rep??

Who extorts from you asks nicely for a suggested donation?

Then chooses something suitably hideous??

(Actually ours gets them vouchers for - where else could it be? - John Lewis)

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 18:19:19

we dont have a rep.

bigchris Mon 06-Jul-09 18:19:39

our rep said if you wanted to contribute it had to be the requested amount otherwise it wouldnt be fair

I was quite hmm about that

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 18:20:22

bloody hell.
I bet people give less to a joint one though.

DiamondHead Mon 06-Jul-09 18:24:41

We are donating £10 to a kitty, to be split between 2 teachers and 1 TA. The money's going to be spent on vouchers.

Each child is doing a writing a 'my favourite moment from the year' with a little picture or whatever. They're being made up into a book, instead of a card.

It wasn't my idea but it suits me fine. It's cheaper and I don't have to worry about it. I'm sure the teachers prefer it too - beats 30 boxes of cheap chocs.

DiamondHead Mon 06-Jul-09 18:25:45

Don't forget the lollipop lady.

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 18:25:47

oh great idea

Heated Mon 06-Jul-09 19:03:23

I think 'a whatever you can afford' contribution to a rep is an excellent idea.
There are just too many staff involved with my dc's class to buy individually for.

Have thought about doing a gift from Oxfam to the whole staff but think they'd prefer an actual present - what do you think? Might have to bite the bullet and do Amazon vouchers instead which will be pricey. But am now going to scour the thread to find less ££ ideas.

MrsBartlet Mon 06-Jul-09 19:14:02

bigchris - at my dc's preschool the teachers gathered all the presents together and then took it in turns to pick what they wanted - so a box of chocs would be fine!

poopscoop Mon 06-Jul-09 19:27:10

why do you have to buy for everyone though? That could go on for ever, and letw face it , the recipient will have forgotten about it, or passed it on to the next person within a few days.

MKy DC had the option. 1 bottle of wine to be given to a person of their choice in the school. Sometimes they didn't want to give anyone anything, which was bloody marvellous fine too.

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 19:31:45

As a teacher
I buy large for my kids teacher.

It makes a difference wink

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 06-Jul-09 19:32:18

I am leaving it up to my DC2 to chose whether to give a present to their teacher.

I am hoping not as she has been crap but thought has gone into DC1's teachers present.

I have bought for 2 teachers, 3 TAs, 4 playschool staff and need to buy for another TA I have remembered about today. All adds up.

Simples Mon 06-Jul-09 19:36:08

it does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now