Talk

Advanced search

End of my tether, should we appeal?

(7 Posts)
bratnav Mon 06-Jul-09 12:46:54

OK, this could be long and I really need some advice on our chances if we appeal.

DSD's Mum got a place for DSD at her fab local school the usual way, applied in the October for Sept 08 reception place and got in. We then moved into the same area to facilitate joint residency of DSD (a week with us, a week with her Mum). We managed to get a place for DD1 in year 2 when we moved (October 08).

There was no space in reception for DD2, and no-one has left since, so poor DD2 is stuck at a frankly crap school 3 miles away and I have to transport them all twice a day.

We have been promised we are top of the list if a place comes up, but we are now moving house (not our choice), we have chosen a house closer to DD1 and DSDs school, and come September we will have a newborn.

If no place comes up between now and September, is it worth appealing to the LEA?

CarGirl Mon 06-Jul-09 12:50:00

Hmmm if she were in Year 2 yes it would because they can have an extra child for less than a year and then in key stage 2 the restriction on places to 30 is lifted.

bratnav Mon 06-Jul-09 13:07:52

Oh, and I don't know if it will make any difference, but the school has 1.5 classes per year, so for year 1 there is a dedicated year 1 class and a year 1/year 2 class.

CarGirl Mon 06-Jul-09 13:32:56

Perhaps ask the head teacher if there will be any spaces because of the mixed class, ie there may be spaces in year 2 so she could have one of them?

bratnav Mon 06-Jul-09 13:48:37

I have asked. I have asked both the Head and the secretary every single week since October if there is a space for DD2. I have even burst into tears in the Head's office (thankfully his wife is PG too). They have said that even if there was a space in yr 2 in September that would not affect the position as it is the wrong year, even though it could be in the same class.

UnquietDad Mon 06-Jul-09 16:27:07

bratnav, see my post on the other appeal thread (the resurrected one). It's always worth appealing.

bratnav Mon 06-Jul-09 17:24:50

UQD - I know that the classes are not above 30 at the school though, sorry if I am missing the point, PG hormones are scrambling my brain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now