Talk

Advanced search

Work experience Cost!

(8 Posts)
noddyholder Mon 06-Jul-09 09:00:10

My ds is doing work experience this week.the cost of fares to get there and lunch money for the week is £35!We can afford this atm but I was wondering what happens for people who just couldn't find that sort of money for a week out of the family budget?

noddyholder Mon 06-Jul-09 13:06:38

No one then!i was ranting last night about how presumptious the school is blah blah but maybe that was PMT!!!!!!!grin

scienceteacher Mon 06-Jul-09 17:39:45

£7 a day doesn't seem unreasonable.

WE isn't usually compulsory, and there is the option of requesting a placement within walking/cycling distance from home.

I had to buy a suit for DS for his WE, and his daily cost was almost £15.

It was a very valuable week for him, so I think it was a price worth paying.

noddyholder Mon 06-Jul-09 17:43:03

I agree it is well worth it and ds is home and thoroughly enjoyed it.but i was thinking it was a lot as for some people that is a lot

MABS Mon 13-Jul-09 18:23:57

where he doing it?

hocuspontas Mon 13-Jul-09 18:34:15

dd1 cycled and took a packed lunch so cost nothing. And they gave her a 'wage' at the end (£35) - very unexpected!

Wonderstuff Mon 13-Jul-09 18:35:34

I think that schools normally have a small fund that will help out with things like this if there a family is really unable to fund it.

mumeeee Mon 13-Jul-09 20:09:21

Does he have to have lunch money could hetake a packed lunch?
DD3 did her work experiance in a place about 5 monutes walk from home so she didn't have any bus fares to yake and she took a packed lunch most days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: