Talk

Advanced search

heatwave... do schools ever send pupils home?

(72 Posts)
SlartyBartFast Wed 01-Jul-09 16:04:58

ds seems to think at 35 degrees, not likely i think to reach that

ZoeC Wed 01-Jul-09 16:07:18

No cooler at home than at school though, is it wishful thinking from your ds do you think?!

Only reason I would expect them to send home is if the water was cut off for some reason. I don't imagine much work gets done in very hot weather though.

There is no max temp for workplaces, I always assumed the same applied to schools I guess but I could be proven wrong!

SlartyBartFast Wed 01-Jul-09 16:13:21

i do seem to remember one occasion, perhaps it was somethign else, and i couldnt understand it either, excpet you can hose them down.

elliepac Wed 01-Jul-09 16:16:33

having just returned home from a day's teaching to hot sweaty kids in a hot sweaty classroom i can confirm Zoe's hypothesis that not much work gets done. We've all been on go slow...myself included grin

smugmumofboys Wed 01-Jul-09 16:16:38

Unfortunately, no.

My classroom is sooooo hot, the kids are really lethargic and tbh I'm struggling. It's a new building but without aircon and no breeze.

<melts>

herbietea Wed 01-Jul-09 16:19:36

Message withdrawn

Rhubarb Wed 01-Jul-09 16:24:08

I think they should.

A lot of schools were closed during the snow because of broken heating and health and safety issues.

I think it's a health and safety issue when you have no air con and a very very hot classromm. Quite a few kids have been sent home feeling sick.

As soon as I walk into our classroom I can feel my t-shirt begin to stick to me. Even with all the windows open it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. We've complained to the Head but he doesn't seem to think it important. We haven't even got a fan ffs!

Some schools are putting childrens health at risk by continuing to stuff them into overheated classrooms.

MerlinsBeard Wed 01-Jul-09 16:26:53

i think there is some H&S thing where if a school or workplace reaches above a certain temp for a certain number of days you can stay off. Obviously if you work by a furnace it won't apply to yoU!

mollyroger Wed 01-Jul-09 16:29:06

one of my friend's children was refused permission to go and fill up her water bottle at lunchtime as ''she should have remembered to do it before''

Think that's a bit shitty, to say the least.

lisad123 Wed 01-Jul-09 16:29:38

nope, no upper limit to temp in schools. My DD1 was most upset today as she was sent outside to play today and wanted to stay in as she was too hot.

MerlinsBeard Wed 01-Jul-09 16:30:41

just discovered there is a minimum but no maximum limit

Fimbo Wed 01-Jul-09 16:32:08

My ds's school has been showing films at lunchtime for the children who don't want to go out to play in the heat.

I do think when the temp is in the high 90's that sports days should be abandoned.

Wilts Wed 01-Jul-09 16:32:38

I went to pick up Ds2 today and found them all lined up ready to go with their teacher spraying them all with a water sprayer grin

Ds said she had been doing it to them all day, they certainly enjoyed it, although I don't envy her teaching them today.

Rhubarb Wed 01-Jul-09 16:33:51

I find this weather far more hazardous to childrens health than snow and ice.

There are risks of overheating, of getting sunstroke, sunburn, dehydration etc etc. Teachers and TAs can't watch EVERY child to make sure they drink enough, don't run round, wear their hats (if they have them), apply suncream (a lot of them don't), stay in the shade.

It's a nightmare.

It's ds (4) sports day tomorrow, and they are saying it will still go ahead, I am seriously thinking if keeping him at home.

herbietea Wed 01-Jul-09 16:48:52

Message withdrawn

mollyroger Wed 01-Jul-09 16:52:44

yup, forecast to be even hottoer here tomorrow and ds has to attend an inter school sports event outside, lasting all day - and there is no water provided - only whatever the children can actually carry to the event itself...I am quite cross about it actually.

Hulababy Wed 01-Jul-09 17:00:39

There is no legal upper working limit, despite being a lower one - so legally I doubt they ever have to send children home in warm weather.

janeite Wed 01-Jul-09 17:04:24

I can't see it ever happening and there is certainly no law regarding temperatures. My classroom has one whole wall which is nearly all glass and the windows open about 3 inches due to health and safety. I had a class of Yr 10 in there this afternoon, with laptop computers and it was virtually impossible for them to work. You could just about taste the heat in there it was so oppressive.

bloss Wed 01-Jul-09 17:06:45

Message withdrawn

janeite Wed 01-Jul-09 17:07:36

Nope, not dangerous.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Wed 01-Jul-09 17:11:18

Australians the same species? shockwink. The fact is we're not used to it, we don't have air-con and it is just too hot for little ones. I think that if you've always lived in a hot climate you do adapt but we're just not that evolved here yet. wink

Hangingbellyofbabylon Wed 01-Jul-09 17:11:18

Australians the same species? shockwink. The fact is we're not used to it, we don't have air-con and it is just too hot for little ones. I think that if you've always lived in a hot climate you do adapt but we're just not that evolved here yet. wink

MerlinsBeard Wed 01-Jul-09 17:12:50

i don't think its the heat so much as te humidity bloss. Heat we can cope with but when there is no air i for one can't breathe (asthmatic)

bigchris Wed 01-Jul-09 17:13:02

teaches there are hotter places to work you know, like care homes, hospitals and swimming pools

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now