Talk

Advanced search

Does the name of a school matter? Would it affect your decision?

(14 Posts)
Bougainvillia Tue 30-Jun-09 11:22:25

We recently moved to Dubai.

There are plenty of good, English speaking schools to choose from, following British or international curriculums.

They are called things like The Dubai British School, and Emirates International School, and Regent, and Wellington International, and The Dubai Academy.

The school I like best is a new school called Star International.

Star International is a bit of a lame name for a school. Does it matter? I can't decide.

On the one hand it will be on her records or on her CV and people will probably think it is a Mickey Mouse school and that will cast doubt on the quality of education she recieved there.

On the other hand, I want to choose the school that I think is best for dd.

But then... I don't dislike the other schools. They seem good too, and if I had never visited Star International I would be very happy to think of dd going to one of them.

And... the chances are she may only be at Star International for her primary education.

It doesn't matter, does it?

Or does it? What do you think?

littlelamb Tue 30-Jun-09 11:24:10

Why would you put your primary school on your CV? If it's a nice school then it won't matter

titchy Tue 30-Jun-09 11:35:41

Oh God yes it's terribly important - everyone knows that university admissions tutors make their decisions based on the name of the school the applicant went to.... grin - Obviously I'm bieng sarcastic!

It doesn't matter one jot, and apart from maybe the first one or two jobs after her education has finished it won't go on a CV either.

Bougainvillia Tue 30-Jun-09 11:37:24

Well, it would only go on her CV if we stay here long enough for her to do her A-levels there. That's pretty unlikely now I think about it.

I was thinking more about when we next move either back to UK, or on to the next posting and the next school she goes to may not be impressed with Star International. I don;t really know enough about school administration to know if it matters.

singersgirl Tue 30-Jun-09 11:37:40

It does affect some people's decisions, but I don't think it should affect yours.

A primary school near me used to be known by the name of the street it was on, which was also the name of a small council estate near the school. It didn't have a great reputation and wasn't the most popular choice at the time DS1 started - he goes to another school.

A new head came in and changed the name to the name of the village/suburb, which is much more aspirational. He says that it was one of the best moves he made and really helped him improve the school's reputation. People were much more interested in looking at it in the first place, and then saw that it was good. The school's doing brilliantly now and is really oversubscribed.

AMumInScotland Tue 30-Jun-09 12:03:37

I honestly don't think it matters. Particularly because if I saw a name like "Star International School, Dubai", my first thought would be "Isn't that interesting, they're much more imaginative about school names than we are here". It certainly wouldn't occur to me that it was any less "respectable" a school to go to than "St Cuthberts Junior School" or whatever.

Bougainvillia Tue 30-Jun-09 12:59:05

Thanks for your thoughts. I think you are both right. A name does matter, but being a school in Dubai the same 'name criteria' will not apply as it would to a British school.

flatcapandpearls Tue 30-Jun-09 18:36:49

I don't think it matters, although perhaps it is easier to feel proud if your school has a good name. I aways inwardly chuckle when I see the school bus for Dumpton school pass me in the morning.

Overmydeadbody Tue 30-Jun-09 18:39:57

It really doesn't matter.

I went to International schools with names that where a bit naff, but it really didn't make any difference (or at least, I haven't been aware of it making any difference!grin)

carocaro Tue 30-Jun-09 20:10:37

I am sure it won't make a difference if the school is good. As long as it's not called Doo Poop International I am sure you will be fine.

There was a story no so long ago about a UK primary school that changed it's name because it was near a well known prison, can't think of it now, the head said she thought it put people off!

faraday Thu 02-Jul-09 16:37:57

I'm a name snob. There, I came right out and said it! I went to a grammar school named after the county it was in, and we envied the boys school named after a Bishop as it sounded much more classy!

I actually don't think Star International, Dubai would be a problem and I always pity the- is it Chinese children?- who go to State School Number 141 or whatever!

Interestingly, I believe there was a bit of fuss when our local comp (V. Middle Class) went from 'THE 'x' School' to plain 'x' School. I think there was the thought the 'The' lent gravitas!

SO I wouldn't worry about it but I am seeing where you're coming from!

MadameCastafiore Thu 02-Jul-09 16:38:58

I think if it was called Twats College of Higher Education I would have a problem!

MABS Sun 12-Jul-09 11:41:56

may well be moving to Al Ain later this year, how have you found the relocation? i have to children to bring.

Simples Sun 12-Jul-09 11:44:57

oh i haev a strong opinion on htis

NEEVR go to a secondary school with an agricultural sounding name

oh no.

think Chalk Farm etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now