Talk

Advanced search

Lack of hand writing in schools.

(5 Posts)
hoping4thebest Tue 30-Jun-09 09:22:07

My ds is due to start school in September and after visiting the school I was suprised to see a real lack of hand written labels around the classrooms.
I was just wondering if this is the done thing now?
It seems a bit strange that in ks1, the children are being introduced to and taught how to write with a pencil, yet there is a real lack of examples to look at. I could not see anything written by hand except by the children.
They also have an interactive white board so I assume that anything on there will have been pre prepared in typed text.
Anyone in the job know anything?

AramintaCane Tue 30-Jun-09 09:40:08

The teacher will write on the board all the time as well. They will probably give you a sheet showing the proper way to form letters as well. The children will work in small groups with the teacher and shown how to form letters. They may also have a handwriting book where there are examples written by a member of staff that they are asked to copy.

hoping4thebest Tue 30-Jun-09 13:22:28

I do think it would be beneficial for the children to see handwriting around as part of the classroom as well as seeing it in action. I know that it may be easier to have everything on a computer to just print off when needed, but I do think there should be some to be used as a reference.

Littlefish Tue 30-Jun-09 16:14:08

I write on my white board all the time so the children get lots of opportunities to see handwriting "in action". I use a font called "sassoon infant primary" which uses the correct letter formation when I'm doing labels on drawers/displays etc.

The trouble is that handwriting labels etc. takes ages!

cory Wed 01-Jul-09 08:04:31

the experience of my dcs is that they spend a lot of time on handwriting; just because it's not displayed in the classroom doesn't mean it won't be in her exercise book and on the worksheets and written by the teacher every day. You will have plenty of time to get bored by her handwriting homework grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now