Talk

Advanced search

Am just wondering -- can/should I keep DS back a year?

(4 Posts)
BEAUTlFUL Wed 24-Jun-09 15:13:58

I have a summer-born son, 6, who is struggling in Year 1. The teachers have started an IEP, he works on a separate table to help him concentrate, and we are getting a referral letter from the school nurse to take to GP, to get him assessed by a paediatrician (sp?!).

Academically (and it's a very academically focussed school), he can do the work well, especially reading and maths. But emotionally and socially, he just seems to be, and act, much more like the Reception children - ie, jiggling around during sports. He is drawn to younger kids.

I was just wondering - should/could I hold him back a year so he repeats Y1 and is then the oldest in his class for the rest of his academic life? I don't know if it's a good idea or completely terrible (please say!), but it might be one way of giving him an advantage, or a chance to find a place where he really fits in with children who are, emotionally at least, his "own age".

I'm so worried he'll be dogged by the same problems (distracted, easily bored, easily teased) for the rest of his school-life, and now seems like the only chance i'll have to do this. I wish I had kept him back a year when starting Reception, so he started when he was 5.3 instead of 4.3, but i didn't realise then the extent of his problems.

What do you think? Thank you.

LIZS Wed 24-Jun-09 17:03:29

In England at least, you are unlikley to be abel to without a fight in the state systems at least. Even then you would need reports , and probably a statement of SEN, in support and for that you are probably at the beginning of a long process. What is the school's opinion? If you do wish to pursue it then you would also need to look into whether he would be required to skip a year and rejoin his peer group at secondary age.

TotalChaos Wed 24-Jun-09 17:54:38

agree with Lizs. Even if you do have him repeat this year, he may have to start high school at 11 anyway and end up missing the last year of juniors. I would focus on making sure he has the right support in school now they are recognising there are issues. And also see if school has any advice on improving social skills (sometimes schools run social skills groups for pupils with difficulties in that area).

hocuspontas Wed 24-Jun-09 18:19:19

I doubt if you would have had a choice about keeping him back for Reception so don't beat yourself up about that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now