Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone sat 11+ outside their local area ?

(10 Posts)
whereeverIlaymyhat Wed 17-Jun-09 22:17:42

We live in an 11+ area but it wouldn't be my first choice as to where to live (we came here for DH's work which is sadly no longer an issue).
So DD will sit and I have no doubts pass the 11+ in 18 months time but then that's it we're tied for another 10 years to somewhere I have no really affection for.
Ideally I'd like to move back to the midlands where there are lots of grammar schools including my old school, has anyone done this ?

Also probably should be another thread but how many schools did you look around before deciding ?

TIA

whereeverIlaymyhat Wed 17-Jun-09 22:19:24

Just read that back and it doesn't make sense.
I wouldn't want to move before she took the 11+ I guess I want her to sit in both towns and hedge my bets blush as I think there will be more competition for places in the midlands.

margotfonteyn Wed 17-Jun-09 22:36:40

You possibly could sit in two places but would have to move in the end to be eligible to actually take up the place.

Be aware that most grammar schools are very oversubscribed and one can never have 'no doubts' that their child will get a place. .They may well pass the test but that doesn't mean to say they will actually get a place at the school.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 18-Jun-09 09:25:38

You can take the test in other areas and then move if she gets in - a few that I know from our school have done that over the years - you just need to be very organised!! The elevenplus exams foum has info on what the eam format is in differnt areas so you can prepare for the specific requirements.

fembear Thu 18-Jun-09 09:33:49

Which part of the Midlands has "lots" of Grammar schools? <puzzled emoticon>

dilemma456 Thu 18-Jun-09 09:47:46

Message withdrawn

fembear Thu 18-Jun-09 10:04:31

Erm, I think not! The Grammars are thin on the ground. OP herself said "there will be more competition for places in the midlands"
Did you see this thread WILMH?

whereeverIlaymyhat Thu 18-Jun-09 10:38:50

Too be fair it's Alcester Grammar and Stratford Girls I have my eye on with Solihull school as a backup.
I went to King Edwards V1 and it was a hellish experience plus I will not have her travelling through Handsworth on a winter evening.

LadyMuck Thu 18-Jun-09 10:58:03

Hasn't there been fuss made about London pupils sitting 11+ at Devon schools? So presumably it can be done, especially as you are now meant to know the results before you apply. That said, I think that you would have to move between results coming out and applications going in 9which won't be long) as otherwise you won't be close enough to get a place?

LadyMuck Thu 18-Jun-09 11:01:35

This is on Alcester's admission criteria:

Children not resident in South Warwickshire
can be considered for a place at Alcester
Grammar School. However, in the first round
of offers for Year 7 entry, applications will be
considered only from children within the
priority circle for the Southern Area. This circle
has a radius of approximately 17 miles centred
on the American Memorial in Market Place,
Stratford-upon-Avon. A map of the priority
area is published in the Warwickshire County
Council Education Department’s publication
“Secondary Schools in South Warwickshire”.
The Admissions Service may be contacted to
check specific addresses.
Children living outside the priority area will be
considered only if vacancies occur after the
first round of offers.

So on that basis you would have to be living there in order to get a place purely based on results, otherwise you are on waiting list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now