Moving schools - best for start of Y5 or start of Y6?(13 Posts)
We need to move. We have 3 girls, ages 8,6&1. Not sure if it is better to move
a) when dd1 is at start of Y5
dd2 is at start of Y3
dd3 would have to move from f/t nursery (where she is currently v. settled) to another f/t nursery for about a year until she is 3 and would then switch to state primary.
b) when dd1 is at start of Y6
dd2 is at start of Y4
dd3 would be already moving into state primary
(and this is the option a close relative thinks is best, but I think is )
c) In the summer before dd1 starts secondary (after selection dates - arrive and try and get her in somewhere decent)
When dd2 is at start of Y5
dd3 would be starting reception
Am I right that option c could mean that eldest daughter would just get put wherever there was a place, e.g. the schools no one else wants to go to - or do some schools have mandatory open places for people who move to the area?
How on earth am I going to get primary places at an okay school for two children in two different year groups?
Worrying like mad about this. Have you any advice?
You don't say whether you have to sell a home/buy another before you move - I am assuming that you don't, otherwise you won't really have a choice as to when you move!
We are also planning to move - flat is on the market and I hoped we'd be able to move by the start of the new term but that is not going to happen now as haven't even had any offers!
I personally would move as early as poss so that DD1 has chance to settle in and make friends who will possibly go on to secondary school with her. If she will have to take 11+/entrance exams etc best to move early so that she has time to get used to new school syllabus etc. Contact the LEA where you are going to move to, but most don't "keep" places for people moving into the area. You might however have priority over others on the waiting lists who already have a place at a different school. I have been ringing round, trying to see how likely it will be that I can get my two both into the same school when we move and the answer seems to be "not very!" There was a mum on here a few months ago who moved and got all three of her DCs into the same school so it IS possible Good luck
I would go early as possible as well. Maybe (a) or possibly (b). The reason I am less keen on (b) is that when you arrive in Year 6 you are getting chucked straight into secondary open evenings and potentially entrance exams I think it helps to have had some time to catch your breath and form friendships and get to know the area. Starting at the beginning of Key Stage 2 (for dd2) is a natural break. The Nursery situation for dd3 isn't great but I would still say (a) is best overall.
I don't get the virtue of (c) AT ALL. In this area that would be a massive risk and you would just be shoved somewhere. Plus if you are arriving that late you may not even have secured a decent Reception place for dd3 so they could both be seriously out of luck. Round here the decent schools are in such high demand there is simply no way spaces are left open for late arrivals. There are enough appeals and wrangling for the spaces they do have.
I would go for the move at the beginning of years 3 and 5. There is a natural break in between key stage 1 and 2 and also half way through key stage 2.(ie year 5)
Think option c is a risk not worth taking as if the local schools are popular you may not get a place even if you lived right next door!
I really appreciate your responses, thanks for taking the time to read my post. It kind of confirms things to me, but is also scary because it means we have to get ourselves together really quickly and try to get our heads around it all. It is soooo complicated! I don't know how we will be able to be near a good nursery, primary and secondary all at the same time!
We are renting, so at least that bit is easier.
Anyone else have any experience / opinions?
moving just before year 6 or secondary is not a great idea, for many reasons (socially, academically, plus huge issues with choice of secondaries etc) so the sooner the better
I would do it at the beginning of Y5. That way she's got a year to settle in before SATs (if they're still on by then).
If you are going to do it then I would say the beginning of yr5 is better-much more time to settle before secondary.
a - let her get settled in before Y6 and secondary transfer - she will probably have the hardest time as it gets more difficult to break into well-established friendship groups.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.