Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Spellings please

(6 Posts)
Easy Wed 11-May-05 14:30:47

Ds was moved up from reception to a Y1 class this term. He is upset because the 'proper' Y1's get spellings to learn, but he and the other 2 who moved up with him haven't been given spellings books, and are just left to play when the rest of the class do their spellings lesson. DS wants to do spellings (he is a VERY good reader). I intend to ask his teacher if he can be given spellings too, I aim to encourage his desire to learn.

However DS wants to start TODAY. Shall I just think up 5 words for him to learn? Or do you know where I can get some guidance?

If teacher doesn't agree I'm prepared to do this all the time (and anyway, will want to keep up the momentum over summer hols if ds is keen)

Babyannabel Wed 11-May-05 14:38:56

The "key" words that my dd concentrates on in Reception are:

I go come went up you day was look are the of we this dog me like going big she and they my see on away mum it at play no yes for a dad can he am all is cat get said to in

I have made a work book for dd as in Reception they have three words a week to learn. If you write the word at the top of the column and they ask your ds to copy underneath. Then cover up the word and ask him to write it himself.

I would choose three of the above words and work from there.

SoupDragon Wed 11-May-05 15:45:52

Does he do any writing? If so, chose 3 words or so that he regularly struggle with (or struggles with in his reading). In DS1's class (Y1) all their spellings are taken from the child's own work.

binkie Wed 11-May-05 16:21:43

Congrats to your ds on his promotion Easy!

Ds's teacher (he's also year 1) says she gets her weekly spellings inspiration from www.topmarks.co.uk, but I can't for the life of me find any lists for key stage 1 there.

Think BA's idea of starting with the reception word recognition list is a good one - year 1 word recognition list includes things like "should" which while OK for sight-reading is a bit advanced for spelling - and expand to 4/5 similar words each time - so when doing "look" also do "book" "shook" "took" "hook".

Spellings work also v good for handwriting practice.

binkie Wed 11-May-05 16:29:44

this is the yr 1 sight reading list

here

Easy Wed 11-May-05 16:34:40

Thanks Binkie, exactly what I wanted.

I do wonder why ds isn't being given spellings at school, seeing as he was moved up becos he is above reception level.

I'm going to be see as a pushy mother at school, I know it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now