Talk

Advanced search

Anyone done an Access course?

(7 Posts)
esor Thu 11-Jun-09 19:33:41

I am in the process of applying for an Access course, with a view to go into education. What are the realities of doing one? How demanding are they? I would be studying full time with my DD 5 at school, my husband is supportive. This will be a huge change for me having just resigned from my employer after 17 years. I was thinking just to get a part-time job and muddle through but I have decided that it is now or never. I will be a mature student and am a bit nervous at the prospect of starting out and want to have a realistic view of what lies ahead.

johnworf Fri 12-Jun-09 06:22:15

I did an Access course really as something to do when my children were little. I found it easily manageable and even though it was a full-time course, I wasn't in college full-time.

I suppose it depends on how many subjects you are thinking of taking; I took AS maths as well as the 3 Access subjects on my course.

I ended up going on to university and graduated in 1997. Never my aim to go on to higher education when I first started but I really enjoyed it!

Go for it and good luck!

esor Fri 12-Jun-09 07:04:28

Thanks JW. Sounds very encouraging, will make sure I get the applications off as soon as I get them. Roll on September!

johnworf Fri 12-Jun-09 07:53:10

Good for you! grin

msdevine Fri 12-Jun-09 08:08:05

hi i have did an access course last year i am now at university doing a degree.

It depends which access course you do as to how demanding it is.

My friend did a nursing access course at the same time and it was really a walk in the park.

However the one i did was very demanding it was preparing us for university so was extremely hard and loads of work lots of 2000 word essays.

They were very supportive and there was a complete mix of ages it was lovely as everyone was there to learn and had chosen this path.

my children were 7months and 2 when i started so they were in nursery 8-4:30 4 days a week. It was difficult but possible and as your child is already in school i think it will be great.

Good luck.xxx

msdevine Fri 12-Jun-09 08:10:07

have done.....still waking up LOL!!!!

esor Fri 12-Jun-09 16:27:26

Thanks for the encouragement Msdevine and good luck with your course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now