Talk

Advanced search

Advice for PGCE interview

(12 Posts)
oneforward20back Tue 09-Jun-09 21:30:33

Trying to prep an answer for this aspect of my interview:
• Demonstrate how you might teach a topic from your chosen subject area

Have queried topic and been told that I need to pick it. Thought about transpiration (2ndry biology PCGE) but this is a minor aspect.

SHould I go more general?
THink about a proper lesson plan?

Help please!

duckyfuzz Tue 09-Jun-09 21:40:21

they will be looking for your ideas, creativity, motivation of students, knowledge of curriculum (i.e. make sure you know where whatever you plan fits into NC or KS4 spec) and how you would adapt for less/more able. I would just outline ideas unless they have given you a more specific task e.g. plan a 40 min lesson for an average ability Y8 group

oneforward20back Tue 09-Jun-09 21:42:12

Brilliant!
How would I track down NC info for the different age groups. Got lost googling blush

TheFallenMadonna Tue 09-Jun-09 21:57:13

Have a look here

I would pick and topic and then describe how you would progress it. What are the key ideas that you need to get across? What sort of activities would you do? I don't think I'd go for lesson plans, but it's a long time since I did my PGCE (also secondary science grin).

oneforward20back Wed 10-Jun-09 00:40:39

This is what I had for initial thoughts. Any ideas. Struggling to find inspiration in KS3 syllabus. How common policy makers can make science sooo boring?

Transpiration.

The tackling of this topic assumes pre-knowledge of leaf structure – if this abscent then can be filled at review level.

Introduction:
Ask for volunteer.
Ask class to image volunteer is stood in the sun without the benefit of deordorant. What would happen -try to illicidate individual would sweat.
Now imagine that volunteer is not a person but a plant would they still sweat?
Yes – by process called transpiration.

Review leaf structure
Summarise pictorially the leaf structure and stomata

When plants sweat – transpire they loose water through evaporation from the stomata

Water movement
Summarise the passage of water through a plant.

When water is lost through the evaporation from the stomata it creates a gap in the leaf which allows more water to be drawn up into the leaf. This continues through the plant until the gap has reached the roots and more water is drawn into the roots from the soil. This water entering the roots is cool and brings with it important nutrients. Thus nourishing and cooling the plant.

Factors affecting transpiration.
Find original volunteer or new volunteer if original uncomfortable
Imagine volunteer is stood outside all year, what would happen to them?
Thought activity to think about:
Temp, light, Rain/water availability level, wind. Etc
Take key factors and ask
if hotter would volunteer sweat more, colder
if raining would the amount they sweated change
Wind?
Light?

Relate to plant.
Possible flash application illustration

Transpiration Adaptations.

Plants in hot climates have adapted to loose less water through transpiration. This is achieved by changes to the surface area of the leaf and reduce numbers of stomata.

Summary.

Transpiration is the evaporation of water from the stomata of the leaf
Transpiration creates a temporary small shortage of water in the leaf which draws water up through the plant and roots.
This help to transport minerals into the plant from the soil
Transpiration is greatest when the plant is in hot, windy, sunny and dry conditions and least when the plant is in damp, cold, dark and windless conditions
Plants in hot climates have fewer stomata and less transpiration to help preserver their water.

ADDITIONAL:
Depending on time availability and specific syllabus emphasis there is the scope for the inclusion of an experiment session using potometers to test the impact of the various factors and if possible the lesson plan would have to be adapted such that the individuals could drawn their own concl

smurfgirl Wed 10-Jun-09 00:54:03

I am not a teacher but that looks good.

I would include learning objectives at the beginning and at the end review these learning objectives to check they have been covered and the students have learnt them.

So - learning objective is 'students will be able to describe what transpiration is'
You can check this by some homework (worksheet?), class disscusion, q & a system, making a poster etc.

Share the objectives with the students so they know what to expect.

Also maybe briefly mention allowing for different abilities - lower and higher.

golgi Wed 10-Jun-09 07:27:51

Movement of water through a plant idea - you will need
1) a playground
2) chunky chalk

On the playground draw an enormous leaf showing palisade and spongy cells, stomata etc. Link this to a giant stem with xylem and some roots. You could either do this yourself before the lesson, or get the class to help "you draw the upper epidermis, you have the green chalk and do chloroplasts"

Then when you've done your theory bit, take the class outside, they can imagine that they are water molecules and you can take them on a journey through a leaf.

Then ask them to imagine how it works on a hot day, a windy day etc.

Disclaimer: this could all go horribly wrong with certain classes, but as you're only talking about it at interview.....

Also there's a virtual potometer here:
http://www.scienceyear.com/text_only/sciteach/software/potometer.html

golgi Wed 10-Jun-09 07:38:39

Couple more things I've just thought of to demo movement of water - get a bunch of cheap white carnations, put them in diluted blue food colouring a couple of days before - and you get blue flowers.

Also can do this with celery in ink, then can cut slices of celery to see position of xylem - look with a magnifying glass.

miajosh Tue 07-Jul-09 14:18:25

I personally would not ask a student to stand at front of class and imagine them sweating. Teens are very self conscious and worried about smelling, and this might be too embarrasing in front of class. Also, if no one volunteers, you have a problem. Don't assume someone will!

ihavenosecrets Tue 07-Jul-09 14:38:58

The volunteer could be you. I wouldn't use a teen.

Loshad Wed 08-Jul-09 22:44:08

I don't think it probably matters for your interview (after all the idea is that they spend the year training you) but your plan looks more suitable for KS4 than 3. Think you've done a really great job. hopefully you'll get a place - it's a great year if lots of work (as i have 4 kids i used to work eves form 9pm until finished - often 1am aargh). Don't be swayed by the loads of jobs argument for biologists - it's a bit of a fib in lots of parts of the country - there are jobs, and i'm sure you'll get one but don't be too picky and assume loads will turn up after may half term. Let us all know how you get on.

DidEinsteinsMum Sun 12-Jul-09 22:39:40

I got a place but it was conditional on 3 days in school (now done). It was the lesson plan that really aided my case. smile I just have to get through the CRB and health check bits so heading off to do that paper work very shortly. Cheers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now